Chapter 8

Later that same day at around 3pm

Donny-

This is crazy. EVERYTHING! Everything, everything, everything is batshit fucking nuts! I don't usually like to cuss, but I'm at my fucking wits end! It's been a crazy day, a crazy week, hell, it's been a crazy couple of weeks. Ever since I met Carolynn just three weeks ago my life has been a whirlwind of emotions, most of them negative.

I'm almost glad I went and saw Russ today, it gave me a break from the stupid nonsense that I've allowed myself to get wrapped up in. And now, my father has given me even MORE to think about on top of his own current situation.

(BTW, he insisted I call him Russ since he's been in prison for two reasons; he feels he doesn't deserve to be called Dad after he let himself get thrown in jail again and secondly, to this to day, Chester doesn't know Russ's first name or that he's in jail and we don't want Chester to think differently of him so I tell him that Dad's working in another country, that's why he hasn't come to visit him.)

I had a long discussion with his court appointed lawyer and the parole board. The date is set for the hearing and the guards and the warden have positive things to say about Russ. He hasn't caused any trouble and if someone tried to start up with him, he knows how to handle himself. He's never spent a day in solitary, they told me.

I'm thinking all this as I wait for him to be brought back to the visitor area so I can say goodbye because I do have to go back. I have a lot to think about.

"So, son," Russ says, "no matter what happens with this parole hearing, I want you to know that everything is the way it's supposed to be. Your mother would not want you to be living like this. You have an opportunity, here, to find happiness and success. Fate has brought you this chance to honor her memory instead of tarnishing it by wasting away your life because you're too stubborn to move passed what happened to her. I've told you a million times, her accident wasn't your fault."

"Yes, it is, Russ," I retort, "if it wasn't for me being irresponsible and partying too late and sleeping in, she'd still be alive."

Russ pauses and looks at me confused,
"What are you talking about?" He asks, "That's not how I remember you relaying the story at the time."

"What do you mean?" Now I'm confused.

"That's not why you missed your flight," Russ explains, "I know your memory is fuzzy when it comes to that time period, so I'm going to remind you. On your way to the airport to California you helped a young lady with her flat tire."

Oh my God, that's right! This hits me like a ton of bricks.

"You missed your flight because you were helping someone," Russ continues, "your mother would be so proud of you for that. But like I told you earlier she would not be proud if she knew you were living the way you are now."

"I realize that, Russ," I start to cry, "I just miss her so much!"

"I do too, kiddo," Russ says calmly, "but you're still young, it's not too late to turn things around. If you truly love this Carolynn like you said but she's with someone else, even if you say he's a dick, she chose him, so you have to let her go and find another girl. And you also need to see if that job at her Dad's law firm is still open."

"I told you, he recsinded his offer because of the kiss thing." I plead

"Then change his mind." Russ concluded just when the guards said time's up. So with that I hug my dad and I go outside and hop in the car with a new lease on life with a determination that I haven't felt in a long time. Russ is right. Too long have I wallowed in self pity and gotten in my own way, but no more. It's time to bring the old badass Donny from before the accident who was driven and motivated to change the world, not the miserable and jaded Donny I am currently. I can't wait.