Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I dial my mother's number on the old, tricky wall phone. After a few attempts, I get it right and just as I grab the phone from the wall, there's a cold hand around my wrist.

My eyes meet with a calculating gaze and I step back, my heart thudding.

"Nobody is calling anyone." Zade pulls the phone out of my hand and places it back, cutting the call before it even begins to ring.

Fear spikes through me and my blood runs cold as his hand tightens around my wrist. "I need to—"

"No." He cuts me off, a steely edge to his voice. It's different. Primal.

"But—"

"I said no, Aurora."

I yank my hand away from him, staring back at him with wide disbelieving eyes. "Why? She's my mother! She deserves to know that I'm safe. I just wanted to call her and talk to her for a minute."

"She will not know you're here," he retorts, his face hardening. "Your safety is not her concern. It's mine. You're my mate and until I don't want anyone to know where you are, no one will."

I glance towards Estella, seeking support, but she just lowers her gaze, her shoulders hunched. She stands only a small distance behind me. My eyes return back to my mate and I clench my teeth, feeling more trapped than ever.

"You infuriate me." I whisper.

"Glad to know I do," He smiles, momentarily. "Take this off the wall, Estella. She'll not be making any contact with anyone outside this house and I want you to make sure of that. Reasons aren't relevant." His gaze tears away from mine and he walks away after giving his orders.

I grit my teeth harder, barely containing my anger. What is it with him? It's just my mother, not some secret lover or another man. Yet, he acts as if I'm about to betray him as if my mere existence is a threat to the ties he shares with me.

Taking a deep breath, I go behind him with no intention of leaving this. "What is it with you? Why can I not call my mother? You cannot just take me away from my family and friends and act as if it's the right thing to do." I demand to know.

He pauses on his steps, his back still turned to me. "I don't need to share my reasonings with you, Aurora. You're my mate. My possession." He turns around, his eyes still dark and unwavering.

"I'm not your possession." I snap at him, folding my arms over my chest.

"Oh, but you are. Maybe you need a reminder," he strides closer, invading the little distance surrounding me. My heart pounds heavily against my chest as his dark eyes pin me in place.

When he towers over me, I don't see anything else but him. I swallow hard. His scent envelops around me, making my senses reel and my skin tingle with a forbidden desire. He leans down, his warm breath fanning over my cheek.

"Do you need a reminder, my stubborn mate? Perhaps a mark will just do, or maybe..." He doesn't finishes and it keeps me on the edge of something I want to know.

"Or maybe what?" I retort, looking up at him, my voice teetering between dread and defiance. It's a battle inside me, getting worse and worse. I'm conflicted, my body is conflicted. My wolf's screaming within me, begging me to unleash her to him—to his wolf.

His lips twitch into a smirk at my reaction. "Or maybe, my dear Aurora, you need more than a mark, maybe you need to feel," he murmurs, his hand resting gently on my waist, sending a shiver up my spine. His gaze is piercing, leaving me exposed. I feel his heat against my body, the smell of him overwhelming my senses. "Maybe you need to taste what it is like to be possessed by me, completely and utterly."

His words echo across the silent hallway, setting my nerves on fire. Every fiber in my body screams in agreement with him. I am his mate, but I've been denying him, denying myself as if it isn't true.

But it is.

His lips hover over mine, a breath away from a searing kiss, when I push back. He frowns, the passion in his eyes replaced with confusion. "Aurora?"

I place my hand on his chest, keeping a firm distance between us before I meet his gaze head-on. "You might think of me as your possession and maybe in some primal sense, I am. But don't get it twisted. Even if it's the end of the world, I will not let you mark me, let alone touch me until you can learn to respect me as an equal."

His eyes lower, away from mine and onto my body where his gaze lingers for only a moment before the corner of his mouth tugs into a smile. "You'll burn with desire in a matter of only a few days if you haven't forgotten about the heat you'll be going through. But if it's a game you want to play then it's a game we'll play. I relish a challenge more than anything else." He steps back, leaving distance between us.

I finally breathe, but before I can fully, my breath hitches at his words.

"Even in heat, I'll not be at your mercy. I've survived hundreds of days of heat and I can surely survive a few more."

"We'll see," His smile only widens and it irritates me. "Mate."

Read up to 60 chapters on Patreon, or on Inkitt.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions