Chapter 16

Chapter 16

My throat's raspy. Every time I talk, it aches like hundreds of needles have been shoved inside my neck. I don't think so I've been awake for days. Every time the sun rises, I fall asleep and the next my eyes open, it's dark. The day goes on in a blur, merging into one another in a haze of sickness.

Estella comes in regularly, bringing me food and medicines. It helps—a lot, more than what my mate can offer.

By the end of the fourth day, I'm better. The pain has subsided and my throat is finally at ease. I can speak without sharp stabs of agony. But even then, I feel my head burning.

The next morning, I walk to the kitchen myself from the room I've been in. It's better than the prisoning tower. The sheets are a lot softer and the room's warm, and it's not so lonely down here.

"You should've stayed in bed. I would've gotten you breakfast," Estella turns away from the stove and to me. "How are you feeling today?"

"A lot better. You take such good care of me and I should thank you for that." I lean against the counter, taking in deep breaths. The air is refreshing as I haven't left the room in days.

"Oh, that's not needed." Her cheeks turn red as she responds to me.

I eagerly take a seat at the kitchen table, my appetite returning along with my health. The aroma of food fills the air, forcing me to indulge as soon as it's going to be on the table. However, despite my best efforts, my mind keeps wandering back to my mate. Zade. He had taken over my mind.

I can feel his weight on my head, as if he's just sitting on it, refusing to leave.

"You're a strong woman. I had good faith you would bounce back in no time," Estella says, cutting me out of my thoughts. "Now, now, eat up and if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask me. I'm right here."

I stare down at the food on the table. My stomach grumbles. It's more than enough for me. Raising my head, I smile at her before grabbing a knife and a fork. As I savor each bite, I contemplate my next move now that I'm all better and alive. It would have been easier if my mate would've given me his blood five days ago.

But he chose not to. For whatever reason he had.

Just as I think of the devil, he walks in. There's a look of surprise on his face as he reaches the table where I'm seated and leans against the polished wood.

"Look who's all better now. I didn't expect you to recover so quickly. It was rather peaceful to not hear your loud voice for a couple of days." He says, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

I narrow my eyes at him, a flicker of annoyance appearing over my face. "No thanks to you."

"Oh, come now, Aurora. You didn't actually think I would offer my precious blood to heal you, did you? Where's the fun in that?" He walks away from the table and goes to the side. For a moment, I believe he's gone until he's right me with his one hand over my shoulder. Leaning in, he quickly whispers into my ear. "Maybe your sickness was a punishment for betraying your mate."

I push his hand away from my shoulder. "I did not betray you."

A smile spreads over his face as he straightens behind me. "Mhm." With only that, he turns away from me and walks further into the kitchen.

I place my hands down on the table and glance over my shoulder while my hunger disappears. He meets with Estella and she hands him a glass—of blood. It's red and definitely blood. With glee, he takes it from her.

My stomach churns at the sight of him raising the glass to his lips, taking a slow, deliberate sip of the blood.

It's unusual and odd to see someone drinking someone else's blood, especially to just fulfill their hunger. Does he even need it? After all, he's a hybrid and not just a vampire.

As he sets the glass down, he says a few words to Estella. I can't hear them as his voice is barely above a whisper. I quickly turn my head around just as he turns his gaze toward me. My heart races.

It's going to be a long while before I can settle with the fact that I'm mated to a hybrid.

Something that's not meant to happen.

I see him again when he nears the door exiting from the kitchen. Before leaving, he casts a final glance in my direction. Our eyes meet once more. His lips curve into a faint smirk, and an involuntary shiver runs down my spine.

My eyes flicker to his mouth as he licks his lips. It's unsettling. As he raises his hand, his thumb gliding over the corner of his mouth, I can't help but follow the movement, captivated by the traces of blood that stain his pale skin.

It's still unsettling.

My head lowers, away from him. I don't need to see him indulge in his food—I never need to see that. When I begin hearing his footsteps leave the kitchen, I finally let out a few breaths and lean back against the seat.

My appetite is gone, just like that. I sit in the quiet of the kitchen, contemplating my life for a few seconds. There's a part of me that's still infuriated by the fact I had to be mated to this man while another part of me continues to question and seek understanding. Without another thought, I raise from my seat and turn to see Estella.

"You didn't finish your breakfast, my dear." She takes a quick glance at my plate and tells me.

"I think I'm done eating." I move away from the table and closer to where Zade stood a few moments ago. The glass is now empty and it's just sitting over the marble counter. "Was that blood?" I ask Estella.

"Yes." She nods.

"Where—who is it from? I mean, where does he get it from?"

"He has a source that delivers him blood bags in dozens, usually at the beginning of the month. He doesn't feed directly from people if that's what you mean to ask."

I continue to stare at the glass. "Yeah, he told me that. How many days can he go without blood?" I question her with curiosity in my voice.

Her eyes dart at me and then back at the stove where the water is boiling. "A few, but after that, he can enter a state of hibernation and you'd need more than a blood bag to get him out of it."

"Where are these blood bags kept?"

"Oh, right there." She turns off the flame and quickly points her finger at a small refrigerator tucked away in the corner of the kitchen.

Interesting.

Read up to 60 chapters on Patreon, or on Inkitt.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr

Inkitt: https://www.inkitt.com/miakerr/subscriptions