21. Glimmer of Hope

Start from the beginning

"It's not easy to keep track of people in this country," Captain said and sighed.

Including me...

It was starting to look like this alpha was yet another illegally bred child with zero records. Or a terrorist. Or homeless. Or an illegal immigrant. Or kidnapped from across the world. There were millions and millions of people without any records like him. And me.

"I think the only way for us to find out about him is to ask him directly," I said, and closed the program.

"I have come to the same conclusion, yes," Captain said. "At least this was a good exercise for you. You're learning the ropes really fast."

"Thanks," I said, and turned to face him. "Anything about the terrorist group Mercer ended?"

"I'm afraid not. They didn't have anything on them. No phones, no credit cards, not even a fucking tissue in their pockets..."

"Sounds more and more like a suicide mission," I said.

"It does seem like they were prepared to die," Captain muttered. "I will never understand that."

"Me neither. Why die for a cause like that?" I asked.

Captain shook his head, and didn't reply to me. "Come. I'm sure dinner is almost ready."

I got up and followed him for two steps, then realized we were alone in the tech room. I stopped, hesitating.

"Riley?" Captain turned back to me.

"Could you... Close the door?" I asked quietly, getting more and more uncomfortable.

He frowned, but did as I asked. He didn't return to me, though.

"Is everything all right?" he asked gently.

I took a deep breath. And another. "My, uh... I'm going into heat... in the next few days..." I mumbled.

"I see. You know it's not going to be a problem around here, right?" he asked soothingly.

"I know... I just... I figured I should probably say something, before..."

"Riley..." Captain said and took a few careful steps closer to me. "You didn't have to tell me, unless there is something you want me to know about?"

The Lace...

I shook my head and tried to smile. "No, I... I guess I didn't need to tell you about it... I just... felt like I should."

"I do appreciate that," he said, smiling. "Is there something I can do for you? I can get you whatever you might need."

"Nah... I'll be fine... Maybe... Maybe some painkillers, that's all," I said.

"Okay. I'll get you the best ones, don't worry," he said. "Anything else? Food you might want? A heating pad?"

"No, I'm fine," I said, and gave him a genuine smile. "But thanks."

"You know... I can also let you stay in my apartment until it's over," he said quietly. "You know. Peace and quiet."

I actually considered it, but again, I shook my head. "I uh... I think my omega would like to stay around alphas. It likes you and Reid, so... It'll probably feel safer that way."

His smile turned even warmer. "All right. If you need privacy at any point, just let me know, okay?"

"Yes, sir," I said.

Then he tilted his head. "If you don't mind me asking... Are you a nesting omega?"

"Oh... I... don't know, really," I muttered.