"It's bigger than I thought." Ramona looked around. Her eyes stopped on the plastic.

"We're waiting for the electrician. I'll show you upstairs. This is Nick and that's Ivy." The kids waved and smiled.

The apartment was nicer than the dump she lived in with Bryce although it was sparsely furnished. "Your room is small. It was the former owner's daughter's room. She said it was like living in a closet. She has a beautiful house down the street. It should be gorgeous since she's an interior designer and her husband is the contractor doing the renovation."

"You look happy, Kat."

She wasn't every minute of the day. "It's this place. I've moved on, but I'm thrilled to have my equipment. Alex's guys will bring it in. I should text him."

She took out her phone. There was a missed text from Will. He had responded to her text from the night before. After she texted Alex, she tapped a reply. Nick offered to teach me the game.

When her phone rang, she looked at it. Her father had gone for their luggage, but her mother was looking around.

"Hello."

"I can teach you." His voice laughed.

"You aren't here. Besides, you're busy.'

"How's it going there?"

"Great! My parents are here. Your sister is singing tomorrow."

"I know. The kids start school next week." Maine schools started later.

"My first summer is almost in the books." Her mother looked at her. "I have to go. Thanks for calling."

"Who was that?" Ramona pointed to her phone.

"Just a friend. One of our regulars when he was here this summer."

"It's still summer."

"Yes, but he works and couldn't stay."

"He? Interesting."

If she denied it too much, her mother would persist. "It's not like that."

"Does he have a good job?"

"Mom, he lives in New York."

"Who lives in New York?" Seth came through the door with two canvas bags.

"One of our regulars."

"That's a long way to come for weekends."

"He doesn't come for weekends." Because he works. "Are you hungry?"

"I need to freshen up." Kat pointed towards the bathroom and Ramona shut the door behind her.

"Your staff is very nice. They were telling me about your changes."

Kat stopped herself from mentioning the angst that came with each. Things had definitely become easier since she started dealing with Kerry. "It's different from the restaurant, but I'm enjoying it."

"What about in the winter?"

Kat smiled. "My goal is to keep us busier than in the past. A little slowdown is fine to save some energy for the summer. The summer sales figures have exceeded expectations."

"Sales figures. I didn't think you were into the numbers."

Kat sighed. "That was my downfall. Never again."

"And you've made friends?"

"Dad, everyone is great. They're like a family. You'll see."

"Is your friend from New York family?"