5. Gunshots and Rain

Start from the beginning

The broken-nose man grabbed her forearm tightly and he pulled her towards him, laughing. Waiting until she was close enough, Annabeth swung. Her forehead collided with his nose, destroying the remnants of whatever remained of his olfactory sense.

He let her go, grabbing onto the bleeding mass, "You bitch!" he shrieked.

Gun in hand, Annabeth's forearm collided with the charging men, pushing one of them backwards as she slammed the hilt of her weapon against one of them.

She cursed herself. Her body was still recovering from the fight before, going up against a dozen people was not something she could do right now. She barely had any bullets left either.

Not like you have a choice, she chided herself.

Rotating a man's arm, she pushed him against his comrade, sending them both hurtling. Gods, everything hurt.

Annabeth felt a sense of deja vu when she once again, saw a streak of raven hair amid the brawl, sending someone flying away from her.

"What the hell were you thinking?!" Percy shouted, next to her in a flash, the answer to her prayers.

"Why are you here?" she shouted back, kneeing an individual where the sun didn't shine and ducking his punch.

"To stop you from doing stupid shit like this!" Percy bellowed, continuing his onslaught.

"Thank you," Annabeth said, voice so low that it never reached him. The word got lost between the maddening fight, fading into screams and shouts.

"Dam it! Percy, I need you to duck," Annabeth screamed. It was too much for her. Her body was protesting, shutting down. Her mind was already spinning, she didn't know how much longer she could go on like this.

Percy's head bobbed down, sea-green eyes flashing towards her, confusion shimmering within their depths. Still, he trusted her and that was good enough.

She shot three men behind him, a single bullet to their shoulders. She couldn't waste more ammunition on this, she needed to get herself and Percy to safety.

"Annabeth," Percy cried, shielding his head as the bullets found their marks. He pointed towards a nearby trench.

She nodded, covering for him. Percy sprinted towards the trench, turning back to look at her. He opened his mouth to say something to her, but all that came out was a wrangled scream. A gunshot sounded in the air, and Percy fell head-first into the trench.

Rage swelled within like a balloon. They went after Percy! How dare they?!

They shot him.

Coming after her was one thing. But the thought of them hurting Percy set off a primal instinct within her. He had done nothing wrong, all he was doing was protecting her, that's all he ever tried to do. His blood would not be on her hands.

Screaming certain obscenities, Annabeth made a few clean shots. She sent a trio of men hurtling backwards as she ran towards Percy, jumping into the trench after him.

"Percy!" she gasped, sliding on her knees beside him, "Oh my Gods...I'm so sorry! Are you alright?"

I'm so sorry! Are you alright?"