Shane ran out of the store, shooting in the direction of the men with the mask.

Rick turned his attention over to Shane, unaware of who was shooting. When he was distracted, a bullet came whizzing by, striking rick in a spot on his body that the vest didn't offer much protection to.

Rick fell to the floor, falling unconscious within moments.

"No!" Amanda cried as she crawled out from under the car, "No, no!" She cried. She applied pressure on his wounds, watching as more police cars came by, "c'mon rick, stay awake." amanda begged as an ambulance came.

Amanda climbed in the backseat with him, crying as she held his pale hand. She looked down at her hands, crying softly because they were stained with his blood.

                                         - * -

Three months had passed since Rick was shot, but only one month had passed since the dead rose.

Amanda was on shift at the hospital when everything went down. She immediately ran into Ricks room, boarding up the doors. She stayed in there for a while as the National Guard came and cleared out some of the hospital.

After about three months and a couple days since the incident, Ricks hand twitched. He opened his eyes slowly, giving a dry cough. He looked around the bleak room, glancing over at the dead bouquet of flowers besides him.
He gasped in pain as he sat up, looking over at the window. Beneath the window was a cot where Amanda was sound asleep.

Rick looked confused, unsure of what was going on, "Amanda?" He asked, his voice was hoarse because of the fact he hadn't spoken in a few months or drank anything. He got all his nutrients via IV.

Amanda bolted up, gasping softly, "Rick!" she said as happy tears fell from her eyes, "Oh, honey." Amanda said softly as she walked over, sitting on the edge of his bed.

"Why is it so dark in here?" Rick questioned, looking around. Amanda reached over and grabbed a bottle of water, "here, drink something." she offered softly, holding the bottle to his lips to help him, "slowly." she encouraged.

Rick looked at Amanda with concern in his eyes, "what is going on?" He asked, taking a sip of water.

"You've been in a coma for three months. About a month ago, there was a sickness that went around. People changed. People would bite other people, those people would bite other people, so on and so forth. I'm not entirely sure. The National Guard came here, cleared out some of the crazy people, but they didnt do much. When everything started, I was on shift. Sick people were coming in and out. Once it got crazy, I came to your room. I blocked the door and stayed with you, to make sure you were safe." Amanda said, "i've left this room a couple times but only to gather supplies around the hospital." Amanda rambled on.

Rick looked at Amanda, trying to process everything she was saying. But the only thing that stuck with him was the fact she stayed behind to protect him. Rick shook his head, "you stayed here? with me?" he questioned

"Yeah, of course, I mean, its my fault youre in this coma. You took a bullet for me, the least I could do is make sure you're safe." Amanda said softly

Rick stood up, walking over to the window. He looked at the bodies of men, women and children scattered all over the ground outside. Rick exhaled deeply, "Lori.. Carl? Where is Carl?"

"I'm not sure, Rick. I'm sorry." Amanda said softly

"I have to go home." Rick said, standing up.

Amanda nodded, assuming Rick did not want her to join him. She walked over to the door, pushing the shelf out the way so he could exit. She stood to the side, looking up at him with her big, sad green eyes, "Be careful." She said softly.

"You're not coming?" Rick questioned, looking over at her with wide eyes

"I assumed you didnt want me to." Amanda said

Rick furrowed his eyebrows, "I think at this point we're going to be stuck with each other for a very long time." He said, giving a soft smile. He watched as Amanda packed up the items she had gathered, to include canned food/granola bars, water bottles and a first aid kit. Amanda held her arm out for Rick, smiling as he looped his arm into hers. He leaned against her as he walked out of the room. He looked at a door that was chained shut with big letters saying "DONT OPEN, DEAD INSIDE"

Rick and Amanda walked outside, Rick using Amanda for support. Rick squinted at the light, inhaling softly as he took in the ruins of his surroundings. He glanced at Amanda with worried eyes.

"Hey, just focus on me, okay?" Amanda said softly, offering him a quiet smile, 'Lets go." She said, leading him down the path towards Ricks home.

________

Hi! Please let me know if you guys have any feedback on this story. Should i make the parts longer? Shorter? Would you guys prefer the Rick romance begin sooner or later?

Please lemme knoooo.

Thanks! <3