Chapter 9: Shifting Sands

As we stepped out of their house, the gentle afternoon sunlight enveloped us

As we stepped out of their house, the gentle afternoon sunlight enveloped us. Kiyotaka glanced at Kei, who wore a slightly disappointed expression, and then turned his attention to me.

"Are you sure you can't stay a bit longer?" Kei asked.

 "There's an important matter I have to take care of."

"Mmm... That's a shame, but make sure to come back someday to play with Chi and bring Ruby-chan along, okay?" Kei requested, her eyes brightening with hope.

"Don't worry. We'll take our leave now. Let's go, Arima." 

"Umm, Y-Yes!" She bowed. "We're going now, Kei-san, Ayanokouji-san."

"Yes."

"Bye-bye!" Kei tried to act cheerful, but deep down she knew how much I suffered. The knowledge that the little and kind boy they met 12 years ago had drastically changed, and she knew I was putting on a mask.

2

...

12 years ago, 1 year before Ai's death.

Back when both Kiyotaka and Kei graduated from ANHS, they took part-time jobs and started living together in an apartment in Tokyo, paying only rent and daily expenses since they didn't need to worry about college fees thanks to the ANHS generous scholarship.

One day, they found a little girl who had scraped her knee by falling from the swings and was waiting on a bench.

...

"Hi there, my name is Kei and he's Kiyotaka. He may look scary but he's a good person. what's your name?"

Sob, sob "R-Ruby." sob.

"It seems your knee is bleeding quite a bit. Mind If I help you?"

"Mm" She nodded.

After carefully disinfecting the wound and placing a little band-aid, Kei stood up and padded Ruby's head.

"Were you here alone? Do you know where your mom is?"

"She is at work.  I'm here with my brother. We live very close to this park"

 We live very close to this park"