Chapter 8: Memoirs in Monochrome

✶

Despair, it's a shadow that's followed me since the day I lost her. That one moment shattered my world. I still remember her laughter, her warm embrace, the way her eyes sparkled when she looked at me. It's etched in my memory, but like a distant dream, slipping through my fingers.

 It's etched in my memory, but like a distant dream, slipping through my fingers

 I had known her, cherished her, and held her in love. No,  perhaps it was something more related to admiration than love but it had a special place in my heart. I had been her protector during her pregnancy and her confidant back in my previous life. 

Reincarnation brought me back as her child, and it was both a gift and a curse. I felt an inexplicable connection, an innate love for her from the moment I was born as if my soul recognized her across the ages. The admiration was there, but so was the knowledge of how my previous life was stolen from me. 

I've grown, carrying the memories of both lives. However, Despair found me once more and the fire of vengeance has ignited in my heart. I cannot stand idly by and let her true killer run free. I will find whoever schemed everything and make them pay.

...

1

"Hey, wait for me, Aqua!"  

"We have to go somewhere right now." 

 "She's really persistent, huh?" Ruby said to me.

"I know." I nodded, acknowledging the persistence of our upperclassman named Arima Kana. We had first met her when we were just four years old. Despite being a year older, Arima had always been the more playful and spoiled one compared to us. Little did she know that my real age far surpassed her. As for Ruby's real age, is still a mystery to me because we made a path to not ask about each other's past.

"Hey, you two, stop whispering to each other and listen to me!" Arima's voice rang out, catching up to us as we hurriedly walked down the corridor. She had always been one to assert herself, even in our early encounters.