● Twenty - Three ●

AUGUST 10TH

"Good morning."

Green eyes fluttered open, meeting rubies he had fallen for years ago. A smile crept onto freckled features as he stretched, brows furrowing as he cleared his throat. "Good morning. What time is it?"

"Almost lunch time." Katsuki chuckled, gently pushing back a green curl. Ever since last week's event, where Izuku had ended up in the hospital and had been told about the mass in his lower breast, Bakugou hadn't gone into work.

Both parents had been stuck at home, enjoying some quality time together until the results of the omega's tests came in from the mail. Mio and Moon spent every day at school and came home with a positive attitude instead of a bratty one like they used to have a couple of weeks ago. Everything seemed perfect, other than the fact that none of them were making money at the moment and the entire family was stressed about Izuku's health. Sure, Midoriya was told to take a break from hero work until he was cleared, but Katsuki had no reason to stay behind. Izuku had tried his best to convince the tall man to go in to work, but the alpha refused to leave his husband's side.

"I didn't mean to sleep so long – I wanted to say goodbye to the kids before they left for school." Midoriya whined, pushing himself up in bed. He sighed as his favorite blanket slid off his bare chest, falling onto his lap as he took a few seconds to fully wake up.

"They didn't mind, I'm sure of it. You'll be bombarded with hugs from Mio later, though. And Moon's questions." Bakugou chuckled, a weak smile forming. He watched as Midoriya grinned at the thought, nodding along.

"No mail, yet?" Izuku cocked a brow, keeping his forced smile. He watched as crimson eyes lowered, his alpha's shoulders relaxing.

"A few envelopes came in at seven. One of them was from your doctor, the other from the hospital and the other was for the electricity bill." Bakugou muttered, glancing over to see greens widen.

"Did you open them?"

"No, they were signed off to you. It's illegal to open a package that doesn't have your name on it, y'know?" The blond hissed, rolling his eyes as he slapped two white envelopes on the freckled man's thighs. He chewed at his lip as Izuku sighed, taking a second to himself as he fiddled with the thick paper.

"This is just as nerve-wrecking as when we took the pregnancy tests, for Moon." Midoriya muttered. "What if it's cancer? The minute I open this envelope, our lives might change drastically. Do we have enough money to support medical bills? And the kids, this might damage their grades and overall health." He whimpered, scarred fingers trailing over the sealed slit.

"Just open it, yeah? It might just be a cyst, or a fat mass. Don't go jumping to conclusions right away." Katsuki ordered, nudging the freckled man. Izuku sighed, quickly ripping open the top of the brown package, reading over the hospital's logo.

"This is the bill, for everything we used last week. The scans, ultrasounds, and room. 2247000¥." Midoriya muttered, gently taking the other white envelope into his hands. "These must be the results." He huffed, ripping the top open as he picked out the sheet of paper. His eyes scanned the first few sentences, a note from Kasumi that informed him of an appointment he had scheduled for the upcoming Friday. His heart raced, thoughts clouding his head as his alpha's anxious pheromones filled his surroundings.

"What does it say?" Bakugou asked, leaning in closer to peek at the paper. "Cancer?" He questioned, looking down at the bottom part where Midoriya's index ran over a series of words to help him read.

"Invasive ductal carcinoma, Grade 1. What does that mean?" Izuku stressed, flipping the paper around in his hands. He tensed as he reread the fine print, along with the description his doctor had left at the bottom, on a series of lines. "... A very common type of breast cancer." He choked, eyes growing blurry as his voice cracked. "The cells are growing slower and look more like normal breast cells. Grade 2 and Grade 3 are more severe and tend to spread more rapidly. Please don't stress, there is a cure. I'll take very good care of you just like I always have. I'll see you Friday. I recommend that you stay home and avoid any kind of physically demanding activities and take some time for yourself. Signed, Inouye Kasumi."

Midoriya's hands shook as he rested the paper on his lap, sighing as he wiped a warm tear from the corner of his eye. "It's cancer." He sighed, pointing out the obvious. He looked over, his bottom lip wobbling as he met loving crimsons.

"And you'll kick its ass, just like every other scum-villain you've encountered." Bakugou forced a smile.

"Kacchan..." Izuku whimpered, eyes watering. Katsuki had never been very supportive and had never had a good way with words, but the effort he was putting in to make him feel better somehow helped.

"It's true. You're the type that never leaves anything affect your friends or family. That's just how reckless and caring you are." Bakugou scoffed, fighting back the sting in his eyes as he watched his omega silently cry. "I know you'll be kicking this damn thing's ass real good, and it'll only become a little memory. Don't you worry too much about it, okay? The doc said he was going to talk to you about it more this Friday."

"But, the kids." Izuku cleared his throat, reaching over to grab a tissue from his night stand. "What do we tell them, and how?" He muttered, wiping away the tears from his face as new ones replaced them.

"They already know about the mass – They deserve to know that it's cancerous. If anything, they'll help you and support you more if they know that it's... Life-threatening." Bakugou breathed, gently ruffling green curls. "Stop crying, you fucking nerd. You'll be just fine." He smiled. He hummed as he watched his lover nod, standing up from the bed with a groan. "I'll go make you something to eat, okay? Stay put and wipe those tears. Or else I'll rail you right into the damn mattress until you cry a different kind of tear." He teased jokingly, watching a weak smile form on freckled features.

"Okay. Thank you, Kacchan." The omega chuckled. "I love you." He whined, watching his husband shift towards the door.

"Yeah, you too. Dweeb." He scoffed, leaving the doorway and walking into the kitchen. He sighed as his smile dropped, his shoulders relaxing as he leaned against the dinner table, eyes welling with tears. He hated this feeling. Usually, if someone was in danger, he'd be one of the best people to save them. But now, the man he loves the most – His omega – was in a life-threatening battle and he had no way to help him. "Fuck."