Ch. 27: Secrets, of Love and Jealousy

"Ugh, finally! It's a good thing my dad trusts you enough to let us go out together!" Yeoreum sounded enthusiastic, even though it was just seconds since she passed through the door of her house with Ricky.

The boy, on the other hand, had a smile on his face as he watched her. Almost like he forgot he still had to be careful once he was outside. "You're rather hyper today," he commented, following shortly behind her due to the girl walking faster than him.

"What? Is this the only time you've ever seen me like this?" Yeoreum asked in return as she faced him.

Ricky's smile widened, and his eyes landed on her smile, glowing like the sun after a light shower. His heart turned warm as he walked up to her. "You look adorable," he said as he ruffled her hair, an act which would surprise Yeoreum, making her brows rise before she turned to him with her cheeks turning warm.

"Uh... okay?" The girl chuckled as she turned to follow him while he passed her by. "But you know, you look particularly happy today, too. Care to tell me what's on your mind?"

Ricky glanced towards her, and his eyes landed on hers, curiously shining back at him. He would tell her... but he wasn't so sure how she would feel if he told her she was the reason for his happiness today.

"I just feel nice." That was all he said as he turned away from Yeoreum to look ahead.

This time, however, the girl looked much calmer as she observed him. He definitely looked much calmer now. Much more comfortable... Much happier.

She could tell by the way his smile looked relaxed, how his eyes didn't seem clouded anymore as they effortlessly reflected the sunlight, and how he moved, no longer stiff and tense.

Yeoreum took his hand eventually, and the boy turned to her with a surprised expression. And then she intertwined their fingers, as she looked up at him with a soft smile.

"... Hmm?"

"We should hurry now before mom gets mad at us for taking too long to buy fruits," she said, suddenly, shifting the topic as she began to pull Ricky behind her.

She couldn't have known, of course, the intensity at which the boy's heart pounded, or how warm his whole face had become at the touch of her hand.

But on the other hand...

He couldn't have known just how hurt Yeoreum truly felt.

Of course, she was happy that he was finally feeling safe and happy where he was. He was being loved and cared for and he didn't have to worry much about being hurt while he was here...

But now what about her? Most importantly, what about her father's eyes?

Yeoreum knew that it wasn't right. Ricky did nothing wrong, and she shouldn't hold him accountable no matter how much her father so obviously liked him more than his own daughter.

In fact, she couldn't even bring herself to tell him what she felt, in fear that it might make him withdraw from everything that had kept him safe all this time... Maybe that's what hurt the most for her.

"... Yeoreum. Is something bothering you?"

But, as it turns out, it wouldn't take too long before Ricky would notice that something's off.

"What do you mean? Nothing's bothering me." Especially now. At this point, Yeoreum's smile looked so obviously forced. Even as she avoided the boy's eyes while keeping her eyes on her notebook spread on her desk.

Ricky observed her, his brows furrowed as he felt a strange sense of hostility. He was starting to forget the coldness of the floor he sat on, all while he leaned against the girl's bed. Instead, all that filled his mind now was his friend's suspicious actions.

He wondered if he should ask further. But as he did, he began to realize just how careful they've both remained with each other. Even after all the time they've spent being with no one else but each other.

Wasn't it odd? In the end, it's almost as if they barely knew anything about each other.

Ricky opened his mouth, as his curiosity was already getting the best of him... but then Yeoreum spoke first.

"Hey... Could you write something for me?"