Ch. 15: Sometime, Maybe In The Future

One thing that was previously not mentioned was the first time Ricky and Yeoreum visited the library together. And though it might have been colder between them that time, it might just be worth mentioning.

"So...? What's your plan?" Yeoreum asked, her gaze looking out the window of the library.

The boy then looked up at her from the book he was reading, with a face of confusion. "Huh?"

Yeoreum looked back at him as she pushed a stray strand of her hair behind her ear. "With your whole life, I mean... Especially with your dad."

Meanwhile, sunlight streamed in through the window, onto the library table both teenagers sat at. And yet not a single ray fell upon either of them. Almost as if the light was allergic of their unfortunate circumstances.

Ricky looked back at the book he was reading as he responded. "Survive until college... I guess. If I can do that. I just wanna have a reason to finally get out of that house and not have to worry about him feeling like he has to kill me."

"At this point, why don't you just run away?" Yeoreum asked, and Ricky looked back at her to see a serious look on her face. He was half-expecting to see her joking face or a glimpse of a sarcastic smirk on her lips. But there was none. She just looked him straight in the eyes, waiting for his reply.

The boy opened his mouth, before he got through his hesitation and finally responded. "And where would I go?"

To that, the girl sat across him relaxed in her seat, sighing deeply as she looked back out the window. "I don't know... Just somewhere far away from your dad."

"And if he found me? You know, he would actually kill me if he did, right?"

"And what if he didn't?"

It was the first time Yeoreum held the winning end of the conversation in her hands. But she held back the urge to raise a brow at Ricky, as he looked at her. He had fallen silent at her words. He wasn't quite sure how to respond.

"I don't want to die," Ricky spoke after a good long minute. And his words caught Yeoreum's attention. Even up to the end of his answer. "Not anymore. I want to live life and see how it really is outside of what my father made me see... I want... I want to live."

His words, in a way, made Yeoreum happy. Maybe it's because she finally knew that he'd stay around. Either way, it brought a smile to her face. And she stretched onto the table, towards the boy, before holding her hand out to him.

Ricky looked at her hand in confusion. And he raised his brows as he turned his gaze to the girl. But she didn't speak. She knew, after all, that he, too, knew what she meant.

He placed his hand on hers. And she played with his fingers for a while before she intertwined her fingers with his. And as she looked at him, something came to her mind, forming words that she would keep inside her head for a while.

"I hope you sleep well tonight."

~•~

"By the way, do you know how to ride a bike?"

All of a sudden, Yeoreum asked as she put down the book she had been reading and looked back at the boy say across her. He had already finished reading the story she had in her notebook, and after that, he opted to try and doze off.

Of course, like usual, he was unsuccessful. And when Yeoreum initiated a conversation, he sat up again, propping his head on his arm as he looked at her. "Yeah... Why?"

"Can't you lie to your dad that you have a study date this Saturday? And then we can go biking-"

"He could catch me because that's when he goes out to jog."

"Oh..." Yeoreum was reminded once again of the circumstances, even though she already knew. And she pursed her lips as she tapped her finger on the table and looked out the window. "Isn't that just... unfair?"

Ricky didn't give her a response. And when he continued to remain quiet, the girl finally looked back at him. He seemed disappointed himself, as he flipped through the pages of her notebook.

And Yeoreum sighed, before she wore a small smile as she spoke once again. "Well... Let's do it once you're allowed to do it in the future, then. In the meantime..."

"I'll see you in my dreams."

"... Hmm?"

Ricky's words came to Yeoreum as a huge surprise, and so she raised her brow, just as the boy looked at her before smiling.

"I hope I at least get to go riding a bike with you in my dreams."

All of a sudden, Yeoreum burst out laughing, and in response to her reaction, Ricky's eyes widened before he furrowed his brows.

"... What is it?"

"It– It's nothing," Yeoreum spoke as she shook her palm while trying to calm down. "It's just.. " She chuckled, before she looked towards the boy with a playful smile. "Well, I mean, if you dream of me, then I hope it's a good dream."

"Hmm?... Oh." And then Ricky's face began to turn red as he realized. "Oh, I'm so... so sorry," he spoke as he covered his face and Yeoreum began laughing again.