Chapter 29: New Years Eve

It's been a week since I found Jack in my apartment. Bigfoot medical technology is very superior to the human medical equivalent. The bigfeet doctors somehow managed to treat Jack of all his physical ailments very quickly.

"Jack, you're going to be fine. Your leg will take a little longer to heal, so try to refrain from running, jumping, hiking, or any intense physical activity until it gets strong again. The feelings you lost in it will return with time."

Jack was discharged from the bigfoot hospital promptly after that. I took him back to Wonder. I've made my center of operations Jack's apartment. My desk and various electronics are in it. I try my best to help Jack whenever he needs something from his bedroom. I've learned to cook soup from scratch, buying various groceries across the street from my apartment.

Jack tries to get out of bed, but with his weak leg, he can barely make it to the bathroom and back.

The worst of Jack's problems is at night. Jack will have night terrors sometimes 3 to 4 times a night. Every single time, I have to wake him and calm him down. Remind him that he's safe. That everything is okay.

As the days go on, Jack seems to be getting better. Tonight is New Years Eve. I fibbed and told my family that I'm going to a New Years Eve party with my friends, but in reality, I'm staying here at Wonder with Jack.

A piece of me is at peace that I'll be doing something more low key tonight. I found a recipe online for a chicken parmesan dish and began cooking it. I glance at my phone's clock. "7:00 PM."

The chicken parm should be ready any minute. I walk into the bedroom and see Jack sleeping as usual. I get in bed with him and slowly wake him up. "Hey sleepyhead. You ready to celebrate New Years with me?"

Jack jolts awake again but quickly realizes that he's here with me. He sighs in relief and grabs on to me.

"Or maybe we can stay here and cuddle?"

I smile and laugh. "No breakfast or lunch in bed. You're coming with me. Even if I have to carry you out of bed."

Jack's eyes narrow. "Can you even do that?"

I roll my eyes and change into my bigfoot form. I'm still have the depression weight I gained in the bigfoot form, but using the most of my muscles, I lift Jack from the bed.

"Wow, look at you! My very own prince charming."

I kiss Jack while I take us out of the bedroom and into the dining room. My Christmas tree and decorations are in Jack's place now. Jack looks at them and smiles. "Oh wow, you redecorated in here. I love it."

"I even brought my Amazon Alexa here to play us some Christmas music. Alexa, play Christmas jazz music."

The Alexa speaks up and starts playing classic Christmas jazz tunes. Jack smiles at me as I put him down to sit at the table next to me. Quickly, I make my way to Jack's kitchen and pull out the chicken parm. It's steaming hot and ready to go. I swing by the table and lay it down gently. I then run back, grab the salad, the appetizers and bring them all to the table.

"Wow, Ben, you really went all out here."

"Well, you deserve it. This is our time to relax and celebrate our first New Years together."

Jack looks down at all the food. Tears start to well up in his eyes. "I...I don't know what to say. No one's ever done anything this nice for me in a long time. I know that with my injury it hasn't been the most celebratory occasion, but I really appreciate this Ben. Thank you so much. I love you. I want to get up and just hold you tight."