Chapter 2: Welcome to Wonderland

"C'mon Ben, it's almost off the elevator." Mario grunts as he holds the other half of my bed. The bed is wrapped in a thick layer of plastic wrap, preventing it from getting scratched.

"I'm trying, you know I don't have great upper body strength!" I say as I take one hand off the bed and pat my stomach. I would consider myself somewhere between a gay cub or a gay bear. Gay cubs are guys that have a belly. Beer belly, unfit belly, whatever the case, a belly. Bears are bigger versions of cubs.

With the most of our combined strength, we get the bed out of the elevator and into the hallway. Slowly, we lower it against the wall next to the elevator and collect ourselves.

"Woah, you can see the lobby from up here!" Mario says as he walks over to the hallway railing. I make my way over and stand next to him. He's right. We both peer down below. We can see the entire lobby quite well. It's kind of beautiful in a way. Very cozy. The kind of lobby you might chill out in when you're staying at a resort. Or the kind of lobby you'd have a few drinks in to enjoy the ambiance.

"You're so lucky to be living here, Ben. You sure you don't have room for two?" Mario winks at me before turning around to make his way down the hallway.

I follow him while looking down at my fuzzy pink key. Etched to the key is the number "3215". Quickly, I glance up to look at the numbered doors.

"We must be close. I see 3205, 3206." I say as we walk down the hall. We keep walking straight down and then turn a corner. Only two doors remain, 3215 and 3216 directly next to each other.

"Hey, at least you only got one neighbor instead of two!" Mario says as he walks up to the door. I stick the fuzzy key into the apartment door and feel the lock turn smoothly. With a swift turn, the door opens, revealing the apartment.

"Woah, Ben, this place looks amazing."

The apartment is a two bedroom, two bathroom unit. Walking inside the unit, we are in a short hallway that leads to the kitchen and first bathroom. The kitchen is spacious and open with a kitchen island. Across from the kitchen is the living room, the second major spacious part of the apartment. The living room has windows and an entrance to a balcony, overlooking the Main Street and moving truck outside.

I make my way down a second short hall to the two bedrooms. The master bedroom is cozy. Everything looks modern. Gray walls, white trim, white doors. The master bathroom also looks completely modern with tiled flooring, off white colored walls, a silver mirror that illuminates in the back, and a walk in shower.

The walk in closet is dark, but very spacious. Lots of places to hang clothes and even a wall sized cubby unit for laying out all kinds of things.

The second bedroom is smaller and perfect for my office. I make a mental note of where all the plugs and internet connections go before leaving the room.

"So you think you'll be comfortable here or what?" Mario laughs as he walks around the apartment.

I nod. "I think so. It feels like so much space. I don't know what I'm going to do with all this."

Mario shrugs. "Well, this is going to be your long term home right? You won't have to worry about maintenance. You live right by your office. Just enjoy it while you can."

Mario's right. This is a beautiful apartment and I should be proud of what I have as a software developer.

"So uhh...Mario? We should probably go get the bed and the rest of my stuff."