Chapter 20: Family Dinner

"I still can't believe that humans get around by car."

Jack is staring at my 2021 Honda CRV. The car has a black exterior and interior as well. Sporty look on the inside. It uses Apple CarPlay and even has a touch screen. I purchased the car used and so far it's been wonderful. The trunk space has been super convenient for furniture and random things. Traveling's also been great with it too.

"Are you getting in the car or not?" I smile at Jack. He looks scared, as if I'm asking him to get into a rocket ship.

"Are you sure I just can't teleport to your family's house?"

I get out of my drivers seat and walk over to Jack on the opposite side of my car. We're in the Wonder Luxury Apartments parking garage.

"What's going on? Are you nervous to drive?"

Jack sighs. "I just, I don't feel comfortable in these cars. They feel so constrictive and they go fast."

It's funny, after years of driving, it's all second nature to me. I never considered that for a creature like Jack, that our human vehicles seem barbaric to him.

Jack pulls the stone out of his pocket and grabs my hand. Holding the stone together, he whispers to me. "Imagine the street your parents live on. While you are imagining it, I want you to draw a giant portal that can fit the car."

I close my eyes and picture the street. It's a suburb. Super quiet and chill. My parents live in a corner lot. I can visualize it so well. I lift the stone and start drawing. Suddenly, the street comes to life. It's the actual street. I keep drawing big enough so that my car can fit through like a giant garage. Jack takes the stone from me to get the roof of the portal. After a few moments, we're done. I'm literally staring at my parent's street.

"This is crazy. Our stones can go anywhere."

Jack nods and looks back at me. "Alright how about I drive with you through the portal and we can park at your parents?"

I get in the car and push my car's ignition start button. The car roars to life. Video game music starts blasting and I immediately start to lower it. Jack gets into the passenger seat. He grabs the seatbelt and buckles it as quickly as possible. Grabbing the roof rack and my hand, he smiles at me. "Okay ready."

I put the car in reverse and slowly back into the portal. In one moment we're at Wonder, and the next, we are at the street of my parent's house. When we cross the threshold fully, I put the car in park. Jack goes outside and makes a hand gesture. The portal closes instantly.

"That is amazing." I say as I wait for Jack to get back in the car. He smiles and closes the door.

I make my way to my parent's drive way. The address is 502 Westbridge Drive. The bridge in my street name is actually a real bridge too. Just down my street is a huge pond with a large bridge that takes you to a community center, pier, park, and a couple of commercial businesses. Growing up, I'd ride my bike to the bridge, passing a sign that read "Westbridge Island". My friends and I would hang out there almost all day doing homework, getting food, and having fun together.

"Okay, Jack. I called my parents before I left my apartment. They know you're here with me. Mario and Diana are here too."

I turn to look at Jack. He doesn't even look like he's paying attention. "Woah, Ben. Is this your house? This place is huge!"

I turn to look at my house. It's a two story building with a 2 car garage. The entire building has bricks on the front with side paneling. There's 4 windows overlooking the front of the house from the second floor, and 4 windows on the first floor. A beautifully landscaped lawn with a sidewalk path leads up to the front door. The front door is a bright white color with an obscured window on it. A statue of an angel sits near the front door, smiling at whoever walks by.