romance killer.

shelby's pov:

this office I stood in was rather... drag. I wouldn't say it was nice compared to the last 2 schools I attended, but it was a public school.

I wasn't expecting the best from a public school. 

I don't even know why my mom signed me up for public school anyway! 

She said we were "running out of money" but that's never true. she says that every time I ask her for something.

"Okay what is your name?" the principal spoke. 

"Shelby grace." I replied. 

I continued to look around until I got cut off.

"I know you come from a rich background, Shelby. if you're expecting any type of rich here you've come to the wrong place." the principal voiced not looking up from her computer.

I looked at the principal. She was already a step ahead of me.

I sat in discomfort in the leathery chairs in front of the principal.

"Okay so my assistant will direct you to your classes and everything else." she replied. "she'll be here in a few minutes." 

I nodded at her. 

"oh and no crowns in the school please its very distracting." the principal added.

"What?" I asked. I had heard her clearly but still. WHAT?! I cannot go A DAY without this crown on my head. what if it gets stolen?! what if someone else touches it?! I can't have these peasants touching my 6th birthday present! what if it gets lost!? THERE IS TOO MANY WHAT IF'S. 

"no crowns in school. is there a problem?" she repeated with a more firm tone.

"miss in all due respect-"

she turned her chair to face me instead of her monitor. we made eye contact. "is there a problem, Shelby?" she repeated in a lower voice.

"yes! Where would I put it? what if it gets lost? what if someone touches it?" 

"you have a backpack right? it won't get lost in your backpack. it shouldn't. if someone touches it, it won't be a problem. they won't steal it. your so melodramatic." 

I have been told I was melodramatic or some other word for dramatic numerous times.

in fact, if I had a penny for each time I was called some word with dramatic in it I would be rich!

more rich than I am now!

and I'm only 16!

I got up. I don't usually bring a dirty backpack to school. only a handbag.

"Miss I-I don't have a backpack...." I mumbled. 

"then what do u carry your things in? god children these days need ott get a grip.." 

I showed her my handbag and she immediately snatched it.

"god, a handbag?! why a handbag!?" 

"That was the only thing I had!" I shouted back matching her tone.

she got up and repeated something under her breath. "it's a kestrel...what did I expect.." she started to walk toward her dresser. "You're lucky I have backpacks in here."

I stared at the backpack the principal was giving me. oh my god, I didn't wanna store my perfect, beautiful crown in there! that's too...yuck..

she gave it to me. "now if you don't put your crown in there I -"