Chapter Eleven. I know you.

June 17, 1995

Bernard went to the Calvin's house so he could check on Scott, and because he wanted to see Mackenzie again. But of course, the elf wouldn't tell anyone that there was a second reason for him to be making the trip. Bernard appeared in the kitchen; he grabbed an apple from the counter, before following the voices that were coming from the other room. The voices belonged to Charlie and Mackenzie. They were putting their coats on. "Are you going somewhere?" he asked. The two humans turned. "Bernard, what are you doing here!?" Charlie smiled. "I just stopped by to check up on Santa, is he around?" he looked for the man. "You just missed him." Mackenzie answered. "But uh.... Charlie and I were going to grab some pizza, would you like to join us?" she offered. The elf looked back at her. "Sure, I've never had pizza before." The human boy was surprised. "Never!?"

Bernard chuckled. "Nope." Charlie grabbed his hand and led him to the door. "Bernard, did you know that today is Mack's birthday!?" Charlie asked, as they got into Mackenzie's blue Volvo, which was a birthday gift from Scott. "No, I didn't." the elf said looking at Mackenzie. "Happy birthday, Human." He smiled. "Thank you, Elf." She returned the smile. He thought for a bit. "I'll have to get you something."

"N-no y-you don't have to, really it's fine." She answered, starting to drive. "But I want to, because you're my... friend and I want to make you happy." He said, she blushed a bit. "When is your birthday?" Charlie asked the elf. Bernard smiled back at the little boy, who sat in the back of the car. "Christmas Day." He answered. "Of course, that's your birthday." Mackenzie rolled her eyes. The elf laughed.

They took him to their favorite pizza place. He read through the menu, not sure what the best choice was. He decided that it would be best if he let Mackenzie order for him. She ordered a large cheese pizza and a small one with chicken. " You should have pizza at the North Pole." Charlie said with a mouth full of cheese. "If I like it, then maybe." Bernard replied. "Elves only eat candy, right?" Charlie asked. "Yes, but since Poinsettia and I are half human, we eat real food too."

After lunch Charlie, Mackenzie, and Bernard went back to Scott's home. "Kids, is that you?" Scott called from the living room. "Dad! Bernard came to visit!" Charlie ran into the room where his dad sat on the couch with his feet up on the ottoman. Mackenzie and Bernard followed. "Hello Santa." The elf greeted. Scott glanced at him. "For the last time, I'm not Santa!" he said. "Yes, you are, Dad!" Charlie tried. Mackenzie saw a sad smile on Bernard's face. She took him by the hand and brought him to the kitchen. "Are you okay?" she asked. He sighed, "Yeah...it's hard, this is the first Christmas without..." He stopped and stared at the floor. "I understand what you and the others are going through, so does my uncle." Mackenzie said. The elf looked up. "You do?" the teenager nodded. "I lost both of my parents when I was 6." She muttered. "I'm sorry."