Chapter Eight. For Charlie's sake

Mackenzie hadn't seen Bernard since January, and it was halfway through February, sure that wasn't a long time, but she kind of wanted to see him, could it have something to do with the sparkle? But she didn't have time to think about it, because she had other things to deal with like her uncle's appearance changing into Santa.

"Maybe it did happen." She said to him one morning, when he came downstairs wearing a sweatsuit.

"No, it didn't." He denied.

"But Uncle Scott just-"

"Mack, I don't have time for this! I'm late for a meeting! So, I'll need you to pick Charlie up from school." His niece nodded.

"Great thanks!" then he rushed out the door.

Mackenzie finished her breakfast; she grabbed her backpack then headed for the door. "Bad timing, huh?" a voice came from behind her. She almost leapt for joy, but she tried to stay calm.

"For a matter of fact, Elf, I'm going to school. So, you'll have to come back later."

She turned to Bernard, he had his arms crossed and a blank look on his face. "Don't flatter yourself Human, I'm here to check up on Santa."

"Well, he's at work." She answered, "But are you sure that you didn't want to see me?" she joked, Bernard couldn't stop himself from turning red. "N-no! I need to check on your uncle." He looked down. She giggled there was something about making him flustered that was cute. Just then they heard the sound of a bus driving away.

Mackenzie sighed. "And... I missed the bus." She muttered. "Guess I'm walking." She walked over to the door, "See you later." She put her hand on the doorknob. "You know I could teleport you." Bernard said out of the blue. She turned to him, "Won't that cause a scene, if we just appear in front of the school or inside?" the elf shook his head. "You trust me, don't you?" He held out his hand, Mackenzie stared at him, because that sounded familiar, but she pushed that thought away.
"Of course, I do." She answered, not sure why this was a familiar feeling. She walked back over and took his hand, only to be pulled closer to him, she blushed as his arms went around her waist. He blushed as well.

"Ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

Before she knew it, they were standing in the middle of the school's hallway, just as the bell rang.

"Right on time." He smiled letting go of her. She was a little disappointed that she felt his arms release their grip on her.

"Thank you." She said with a bit of grimace in her voice.

"Hey Buddy!" A boy called walking over to Bernard.

"It's Bernard."

"Yeah whatever, a circus clown called, and he wants his clothes back." The boy and his friends laughed as they walked away.

Mackenzie rolled her eyes. "Don't mind them they're jerks."

"I won't." Bernard replied with a crooked smile.

"Besides I like your clothes...you look...uh really nice." She looked down, so they didn't see the other blush again.

"Well, I should go to class, before-"