Chapter Five. Realization

The Claus family sat silently as they ate with Tante Kringle, Dingle, Zingle, Mingle, Jingle, Wingle, and Quintin who was sitting next to Poinsettia. They had nothing to talk about, because Kris Kringle (the previous Santa Claus) would tell his family about his night and would just be jolly.

"Bernard, is something else troubling you?" Jessica asked, The Head Elf shook his head. He was still angry and annoyed with the New Santa. "Are you thinking about Mackenzie?" Poinsettia asked making her brother blush.

"Who's Mackenzie?" Tante asked.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 "The New Santa's niece, and Bernie got a sparkle." Poinsettia teased her brother; she was going to bring up the fact that it appeared twice, but Quintin cut her short, "Really? A sparkle? That's wonderful Bernard!" he said, giving his brother-in-law a smile. "Oh really? Is she pretty?" Jessica asked, smiling at the older elf next to her. "I guess, but she's a human, and I'm an elf." He did think Mackenzie was pretty, but if they would be together, he would have to give up his immortality and leave the North Pole and he liked his life here. "And I can't shake the feeling that I have seen her somewhere before."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Quintin looked at his wife, who gave him a small nod. "You know that there's nothing wrong with being a human, or an elf marrying one."

Bernard looked at his mother.                                                                                                                                                               "I know there isn't!" He exclaimed. "But if I chose to be with her, then I would have to give up everything." Unlike his father, Bernard wouldn't be Santa and so he would not have a way for staying here.                                           
         "Not necessarily, but you have time to figure it out." His mother assured him.

"Yeah, you do, but Mackenzie doesn't." every elf turned and glared at Poinsettia.

"Sorry..." she looked down at the food on her plate. Bernard stood up. "Excuse me, I have some work to do." He turned and left; the elves looked at their dinner.                                                                                                                                                                             "I didn't mean to upset him...." Poinsettia looked at her mother. "I know you didn't."

"Oh, what does it mean if a sparkle appears twice in the same day for the same people?" All of the elves turned to Poinsettia and stared; "Have you ever heard of that Dingle?" Mingle turned to his brother. "No, Jingle?" Dingle asked. Jingle shook his head, they looked at Zingle and Wingle who also shook their heads. Every elf turned to Tante, hoping that she would have the answer. "This hasn't happened in a thousand years." She started as she remembered the answer. "It happens when an elf falls in love with a human without any Christmas magic." she finished.

"So, Bernard and Mackenzie are special?" Poinsettia asked, the elf queen nodded.

Bernard walked down the hall to the workshop. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't stop thinking about Mackenzie, and he was also trying to figure out why she looked familiar...maybe he had seen her in the magic snowball?