Chapter Seven. Some rules are meant to be changed

Bernard sighed as he and Curtis walked through the workshop. The number two elf had been interrogating him since he got back. "Curtis. what Krampus told me is classified, and everyone knows that you can't keep a secret." Bernard said stopping by a blonde girl who was painting and leaned down looking at her work. "Looks good, Betty." He smiled.

"Thank you." She smiled back. He started walking again, missing the death stare that Betty's husband Noel was giving him.

"No, I'm not talking about that, I want to know why you were gone for so long?" Curtis asked, making The Head Elf stop again, because he knew that Curtis wouldn't stop questioning him until he gave an answer. "Mackenzie and Charlie invited me to dinner." Bernard wanted to leave it at that, but unfortunately for them they stopped next to Poinsettia, and Bernard knew that he wouldn't hear the end of it. "But why were you there in the first place!?"

"Because I went to check up on the New Santa." He turned and looked down at his sister who was smirking up at him, "Don't even think about it." he said in south elfish. He knew that she would talk to him about it even if he didn't want to, though nothing happened and nothing would.

"Come on Bernie, spill the cocoa beans!" Poinsettia begged as they got Santa's room ready. It was a weird feeling for the two elves since it had always been their parent's room. Jessica was fine with moving out of the room and giving it to the new Santa, but her kids thought it was odd and they didn't like it. "There's nothing to tell. I went over to check up on the New Santa, I ended up playing Sorry with Charlie, and then stayed for dinner." Bernard explained changing the sheets on the bed.

"You had dinner... with Mackenzie!?"

"Not just her, Charlie was there too." The Head Elf replied. "Yes, but the sparkle is never wrong, so why don't you admit that-"

"Because nothing could ever happen!" he shouted. She stepped back. "The rule states, that no human besides Santa and his children who are born here, are allowed in the North Pole, it's for the safety of the SOS."

"I think it would be alright if Mackenzie stays here." Poinsettia said.

Bernard turned to her. "Rules are rules."

"Well, some rules are meant to be changed." She winked walking out of the room, carrying the dirty sheets.

"No, no!" he ran after her. The rules shouldn't be metaled with, and Poinsettia knew that.

Mackenzie was sitting at the table, drawing in a sketchbook. "What are you drawing?" Scott asked looking down at the paper. She blushed and tried to hide it, but it was too late. "Is that you and Bumblebee?"

"N-No!" Mackenzie closed her sketchbook. Her face turned beet red now that she couldn't get Bernard off her mind. "And his name is Bernard." She put the book in her backpack.

"Well, gotta go." She stood up.

"Alright. Have a nice day." Scott said as she quickly headed to the door.

"Oh, and don't forget that you're going to Charlie's school for career day!" Mackenzie reminded Scott as the door slammed behind her. Of course, he didn't forget because if he went to the career day, it would give him the chance to one up Neal.

Mackenzie continued drawing the picture of Bernard and her during lunch. She was adding the sparkle in their eyes. "Who's that?" her best friend Amber asked looking down at the drawing. The red head blushed, "Uhm...Bernard, his father works with my uncle." She lied, because the whole Santa Claus thing sounded crazy. "He's cute." Amber smiled at the picture. "Yeah...I guess." Mackenzie closed the sketch book and put it back into her backpack.