Chapter 60- Affliction

Start from the beginning

We strolled through the market, engaging in animated conversation about the events of the past few months, catching each other up on the seemingly mundane details of our lives.

"I'm planning to make Sebastian his favorite, Dragonfire Chili," she mentioned while inspecting certain ingredients from a vendor.

"Special occasion?" I inquired.

"Well, not exactly..." she replied hesitantly. "He'll probably scold me for revealing this, but I know you'd give him an earful first... they're back, Yvaine. The night terrors."

"What?" I exclaimed, taken by surprise.

"He told me yesterday. He hasn't been sleeping well during this holiday," she explained, her expression filled with concern.

"I'm going to have a serious talk with him," I declared hastily. "I could have prepared something for him, or even stayed here nearby. Anything to help."

She chuckled at my predictable reaction.

"Do you want to see him? He's actually at home right now, trying to rest," she offered.

"Absolutely, but before we do, there's something I must discuss with you," I said, my eyes darting away, and my hands fumbling nervously.

She led me aside, beneath a tree, and we sat on a bench.

"I just ask that you hear me out completely, and if you absolutely forbid it, then I will respect your decision," I implored, looking at her with a plea in my eyes.

"Of course, Yvaine. What's the matter?" she asked, her concern evident.

Before I could continue, a sharp pain gripped her, and she clutched her stomach, bending over to endure the waves of pain. I rubbed her back in an attempt to provide some comfort.

"Sorry about that—" she began.

"You have absolutely nothing to apologize for. Actually, what I wanted to discuss with you..." I said, our eyes locked as if we were following a trail of questions to an inevitable conclusion.

"Yvaine," she began, already prepared to dismiss whatever idea I had in mind.

"I've healed Ominis!" I blurted out, my desperation evident.

"You what?" She exclaimed in shock. "Healed him as in his sight?" she asked, her voice trailing off.

"Yes... we waited to make sure there weren't any unexpected complications, but so far, he's doing well... adapting to his newfound sense but doing well," I explained.

"And I haven't told Sebastian yet... I wanted you to feel unpressured. This decision is yours, first and foremost," I added. "but I'd like to attempt to break the curse for you," I concluded.

She stared at me, dumbfounded, still struggling to believe that I had healed Ominis. His parents had exhausted every avenue to restore his sight, but since he had been born blind, there was theoretically nothing to heal. I went on to explain my process and the possible risks involved.

"Alright... but this is the last time. I mean it, Yvaine," she said firmly. "And we don't tell Sebastian."

We decided to proceed with the extraction process in the Room of Requirement (ROR), but our first priority was to check on Sebastian regarding his night terrors.

As we entered the room, our hearts sank at the sight of Sebastian. He was on his knees, hunched over, and his labored breaths came in frantic bursts. It was evident that he was in the midst of a severe panic attack, his eyes wide with terror.

We rushed over to him, trying desperately to soothe and calm him. But he didn't seem to hear us. Instead, he kept his eyes tightly shut, as if trying to shut out some unseen horror, and he covered his ears, as if attempting to block out disturbing sounds.