Sisters in our Hearts (May 1920)

Start from the beginning

"I don't care," Emma said defiantly, crossing her arms.

"Oh, you're quite the little rebel, aren't you?" Mrs. O'Brien remarked with a mocking tone.

"I'm not a rebel," she retorted, turning to her Dad. "We had a deal. You promised not to smoke around me. It's disgusting."

"Don't overreact," Thomas replied, annoyed. The other servants had returned to their own activities, but the tension remained palpable.

"You promised me! You never take me seriously!" Emma continued to stand defiantly, her arms still crossed. Mrs. O'Brien couldn't help but smile smugly, while Alfred and Molesley immersed themselves in their books.

"Calm down, Emma," Thomas picked up the pack. "I don't have any more cigarettes to smoke anyway," and he put the damaged cigarette pack in his pocket. He knew he was in the wrong, but his pride prevented him from admitting that he had broken his promise. He was frustrated with himself for not being a better role model for his child.

"Well, you can quit smoking now," she replied with a triumphant grin. But then Thomas took out money, "Not at all. Go and get me a new pack." Emma took the money reluctantly and nodded without saying another word.

"Look at that, the very first time in your life that you get to be useful," O'Brien teased.

"Oh, shut up, O'Brien! You don't even know what that means", Thomas hissed.

The rain had stopped, but the sky was still covered with clouds, casting a gloomy mood over the day. Emma frustratedly kicked a stone as she and her best friend made their way to the grocery store. She ran into Ruby on the way.

"You can't imagine how frustrating this is. Dad always makes empty promises. He doesn't stick to anything, but I'm supposed to follow everything," Emma sighed.

Ruby, who had been listening quietly, nodded in understanding. "I know how you feel, but maybe your Dad just didn't think about it."

"He thought about it. He just doesn't care," Emma replied, slightly irritated. "There's a reason why children should be raised by their mothers."

"Huh? How did you come up with that comparison?" Ruby wondered.

Emma kicked another stone and sighed deeply. "Mrs. O'Brien said that children should be raised by their mothers just like in the animal world. And in a way, she's right, isn't she? I mean, mothers are often the ones who take care of and raise the children. Fathers are never around. They have to earn the money."

"Are you okay? Since when do you believe what that old witch says?"

"I just mean that sometimes I feel like Mama would understand me better and stick to our agreements."

"Parents aren't perfect," Ruby shrugged and smiled. "If you don't want your Dad, I'll take him."

"Oh," Emma realized suddenly. She lowered her gaze and felt bad for complaining about her problems. "I'm sorry, Ruby. I didn't think about how it must be for you not to have a father."

"It's okay. You never met your Mum, and I can't even remember my Dad," Ruby smiled and put her hand on Emma's shoulder. "I have the perfect idea. Your Dad and my Mom can get married, and then we'll be sisters."

The two girls reached the grocery store and bought the cigarette pack. They made their way back to Thomas. He was still in the servants' hall.

"Here," Emma said, throwing the pack to him. Thomas easily caught his cigarettes. "If you hadn't smashed my old pack, you wouldn't have needed to buy new ones," he said.