37. A Reunion

~When Legolas and Lasriel come home and find their parents there, things get heated.~

~♕~

~♕~

"Sometimes the right path
is not the easiest one."

– Pocahontas

~♕~

37. A Reunion

Seeing the familiar colony in the distance gave Lasriel an unexpected warmth in her heart. Her beautiful white house with its tower gleamed in the evening sun. Home. It felt like home now.

She couldn't wait to take off her travel stained clothes and hop into a hot bath – and share it with Legolas, of course. Perhaps he could touch her again like he did the other day. The thought ignited another kind of warmth.

Suddenly she stopped in surprise as she caught sight of two unexpected visitors. Why were their parents there? And what were they doing?

The main street had been dug up and transformed into a dark, earthen scar, and Thranduil was dragging a rake along it, smoothening the soil. Her mother was busy digging outside the house.

As Lasriel and Legolas shocked watched them, an elderly dwarf emptied a wheelbarrow full of river stones beside the ruined street.

Thranduil looked up at the loud noise, then he noticed the newcomers. "Mae govannen, Legolas," he greeted, a happy smile forming on his lips. "I did not expect you back so soon. And my, is this my old butler? You look well, Galion; the sea air must suit you."

Legolas stared at him without a word, frowning.

"We are making this place a bit nicer," said Nimrodel, straightening her back and brushing dirt off her dress. "I am digging a flower bed, and Thranduil and Glóin are going to pave the street. It is so good to see you again, my dears! How have you been?"

Lasriel didn't know what to reply. Who told her mother she could make a flower bed? Who permitted Thranduil to dig up the street?

"Nimrodel, I just met your husband," said Nellas calmly. "He has not changed much. He is still a liar."

Thranduil urgently hushed her. "Do not use her real name." Then he must have realized what she had said, for his face turned white. "You met who?"

Nimrodel had become pale as well. She swayed like she might fall. When she gripped the wall to steady herself she left a black handprint on the white surface.

"We should go inside," said Lasriel. Her mouth was so dry she could hardly get the words out. "Not you and Galion," she told Nellas. This conversation was between Legolas, herself and their parents.

Inside were more changes. A crystal vase of flowers sat on the table – which was new, professionally made, with real chairs and covered in a white, embroidered tablecloth. Three sets of silver cutlery and wine goblets were arranged around fine china plates.