16. Market

~Thranduil helps his good friend shop at the market and asks her out on a da- uh, concert. Just a harmless concert. Meanwhile in Ithilien, Lasriel also goes to the market and finds a very interesting Haradrim book.~

~♕~

~♕~

"But we shouldn't."
"I know. That's what makes it fun."

– Lady and the Tramp

~♕~

16. Market

Winter was drawing close and the weekly market day had as usual been moved underground to the grand cavern near the palace. Thranduil rarely attended; all his purchases were handled by servants anyway, and though he had used to enjoy it before he became king it was now too much of a hassle to avoid everyone who saw an opportunity to talk to him without a formal audience. On his free day Thranduil didn't want to think about work and listen to people's grievances and injustices, hear them begging for a tax respite, or a hundred other things.

Today was an exception. He had been passing through on his way out for a walk when he caught sight of Thuriniel in the crowd. She was edging close to the cave wall, looking lost and out of place, clutching her basket like she was afraid it would escape.

As always his heart went out to her when he saw her discomfort. She clearly hadn't gotten used to being among people yet after living alone for so long, and now with her daughter gone she was obliged to do the shopping by herself.

She looked like she could desperately need an ally, someone to keep her company.

Deep down Thranduil knew he was telling himself that just because he wanted to be near her. She was attracting him like nectar to a bee and he couldn't resist, even though he had learned by now that each time made it harder to avoid doing something rash.

The fault was all That Kiss. Afterwards nothing had been the same. Afterwards she haunted his dreams, and his waking time too.

He just wanted to kiss her again. And more...

Subtly pulling his hood up and cloak tighter he ambled closer, trying to look like a commoner.

When Thuriniel noticed him her worried face brightened and she looked hugely relieved. "How good to see you!"

"I was just doing a bit of shopping when I saw you and figured we might as well make company." He offered his arm.

They then strolled between the stalls, talking amiably while they filled Thuriniel's basket and ate too many candied almonds. It was flattering to see how much calmer she became with him at her side and he decided he would take her out more.

"Are you busy tomorrow? There will be a concert here by the lake that I was thinking of attending. Would you like to come?"

She beamed at him, squeezing his arm. "I would love to."