[ 008 ] a welcomed distraction

LIKE YOU MEAN IT
CHAPTER EIGHT !

            WELL, SHE'D MANAGED IT

WELL, SHE'D MANAGED IT. Nell had managed to follow Josie's advice. She'd played it cool, pretended like everything was fine between herself and Hazel, like she hadn't pounced on her the first chance she'd gotten. She done it.

That was all well and good but now, well it was four-fifty in the afternoon, Hazel was on her way over and Nell was freaking the fuck out. Being in a school setting, a comfortable enough environment with multiple escape routes had been ideal for their situation but now they were going to be together.

Alone.

In Nell's bedroom. If this were a movie then that would have been the most perfect of times to advance their relationship, move on to the next, more intimate level. But it wasn't a movie and they both were awkward as fuck. Besides, Nell wasn't even totally sure that Hazel felt the same. Maybe she only saw them as friends and wanted a more private setting to let her down gently. If that happened, the young Hewitt girl was sure that she'd wither away on the spot.

Before she could fret on the subject anymore, the familiar sound of the doorbell ringing throughout the Hewitt residence caught her attention. With a slight frantic breath that she quickly gulped down, Nell made her way out of her room and down the stairs.

"Dad, Hazel's here. Please don't bother us." She called out as she rounded the corner into the living room. Her dad was sitting on the couch, tv remote in hand and an episode of criminal minds on screen. He looked far from amused which caused Nell to sheepishly grin at him. "I mean, I love you."

His humour free expression dropped away and was replaced by a smile that lit up his eyes. "Mm hm, sure. I'll leave you alone. Don't worry." The man muttered with roll of the eyes before shifting his gaze back to the tv.

Nell grinned at the side of her dads head, not caring that he was no longer looking at her before spinning on her heel, her thick wool sock providing for great movement against the wooden floorboards. Before she had a chance to lose her nerve, she gripped tightly to the doorknob, twisted it and swung the door open.

"Hey—are you okay?" The welcoming smile that previously graced her lips had disappeared. In its place was a frown and furrowed brow of concern.

Hazel looked like hell. In only a short space of time, from the last time they saw each other at school to now, Hazel looked like she had been replaced by a wounded puppy. Her bottom lip was pouted, her eyes were tinged red. Her hair had become mussed, most likely from her running her fingers through it, possibly even aggressively gripping and pulled at the root in frustration.