𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈. BY ANY OTHER NAME

Start bij het begin

The Codfather threw his hands in the air in frustration. "You said it was okay! I was only just starting my empire and you said that we could see about an alliance!"

"I said no such thing!" Sausage insisted. Atticus had known the man for many years, and the smugness of his tone led him to believe that Sausage in fact had said such a thing.

"And you don't have that in writing, so you have no proof," fWhip added, smirking at the Codfather. "Are you truly going to escalate this to Katherine? We both know how that worked out last time."

"Boys, please," Gem sighed in frustration. "We have bigger things to worry about than your stupid feud!"

"It's not stupid!" the Codfather protested. "Just give it back! I won't bother you until the next meeting if you do." He was almost pleading at this point, to a man that he owed nothing to. Atticus hated to see it, and he hated even more to hear Sausage's laughter.

Atticus bit the inside of his cheek so hard that he was sure it would bleed. His internal debate lasted only a few seconds before he stepped in front of the Codfather, looking straight up at Sausage. "I'd like to offer you a deal," he said.

Sausage's expression morphed from smug to intrigued. Atticus couldn't see the Codfather unless he turned around, but he heard the man beginning to walk away. It took everything in Atticus not to turn and run after him. "I'm listening," Sausage said.

"Two shulkers. One of wool and one of cloth, every month for the next year. Free. You won't need to trade anything in return for a year. All you need to do is give me the disc," Atticus proposed, holding out his hand expectantly.

Sausage studied him for a moment, thoughtful. Atticus kept his expression calm despite the nerves that buzzed under his skin. There was always the option of punching Sausage and running with the disc if the Mythland ruler said no, but Atticus didn't come to the Cod Empire to start a war. At least not so close to the masquerade, and not when they had a demon to deal with first.

Sausage grinned, placing the disc in Atticus' hands. "You're a very easy man, Foxling. I'll send you the paperwork tonight. Ran will be by tomorrow morning for the shulkers."

Atticus held the disc carefully, dipping his head in a nod. "I look forward to it," he said dryly. He turned, then paused and threw Sausage an impressed look over his shoulder. "King Sausage? Pay your staff better."

He had enough time to see Sausage's look of surprise before he was off, running to catch up with the Codfather.

Thankfully, the man was standing near the watchtower, pacing across the weeds and grass when Atticus caught up with him. If it wasn't clear from his movements that he was upset, his expression gave it away. Embarrassed, ashamed, perhaps even angry—a mix of emotions that Atticus didn't like to see on the Codfather, all staring back at him once Atticus was close enough for him to notice.

"Are you happy with your new alliance?" he practically spat.

Atticus froze, almost tightening his grip on the disc. He frowned up at the Codfather. "You're my only alliance," he said, almost muttering the words.

The Codfather scoffed. "Really? Well, you seem to be quite friendly with Sausage now, so I wasn't sure." Sarcasm coated his tongue, the words stinging more than Atticus cared to admit.

Atticus narrowed his eyes, stepping closer to the man. "Well, I'm not. I made an agreement for your stupid disc and nothing more," he snarked, pushing the disc into the Codfather's hands. The Codfather frowned, taking it carefully. The look of fondness he showed it gave Atticus pause. He took a deep breath, catching the Codfather's attention again. "I'm not friendly with Sausage. I dislike him greatly, but I'm willing to do things I don't want to do to help you."

The Codfather lowered his gaze. It was silent between them, guilt eating them both up. After a moment, the Codfather raised his head to meet Atticus' gaze, nodding. "Right. I'm sorry for— for overreacting." If he hadn't been holding the disc, Atticus was sure the Codfather would have wrung his hands together from nerves.

Atticus sighed, letting go of the blip of anger he felt toward the Codfather. "You're my friend, Codfather. I'm not going to be upset at you for having emotions." He hesitated to reach out to touch the man's arm, so he refrained. "I can't imagine what Sausage has put you through these years, and I don't want to. But I can see why you would be upset, thinking I would be friendly with him."

The Codfather shook his head. "No. I should have trusted you more."

That, Atticus could agree with. It hurt to know that even after their time together, the Codfather still had his doubts about Atticus. It was understandable, of course, but the hurt still clawed at Atticus' throat. If he hadn't trained himself not to cry in public, perhaps the tears would have begun to gather in his eyes.

Atticus looked away, pushing everything he was feeling down so he could deal with it later. "Why is it so important?" Atticus asked after a moment. At the Codfather's confused look, Atticus nodded to the object he was holding.

The Codfather frowned, looking down at the music disc in his hands. He turned it over, the sun revealing the scratches of a disc well-loved. There was much doubt in whether it could even play anymore given how worn it was. "It was my parents' favorite song. Lizzie gave it to me before I officially started the Cod Empire, as a reminder that our family would always stick together." His voice was soft as he told the tale, wistful. Atticus found himself leaning forward to hear him better.

"He shouldn't have taken it even without knowing the reasoning," Atticus murmured.

The Codfather offered him a sad smile, ducking his head. "Thank you," he murmured.

Atticus bit his tongue for a moment; it would do neither of them any good to remind the Codfather that Atticus did not want thanks. Instead, he nodded, sighing softly. "Have a good day, Codfather," Atticus told him, taking a moment to rest his hand on the Codfather's arm before stepping away. He turned, not looking forward to the ride home with Thomas, who would surely have questions about Atticus' sudden mood.

"Jimmy."

Atticus frowned and turned back to the Codfather. The man smiled nervously, motioning to himself.

"My name is Jimmy."

Atticus' heart stuttered in his chest as he realized the gravity of what the Codfather—Jimmy—was telling him. A name. His name. Atticus could officially look at the Codfather and put a face to the blue eyes that always stared at him with emotions that Atticus couldn't decipher.

Jimmy frowned. "Well, actually, it's James, but I prefer Jimmy."

Atticus' voice felt stuck in his throat. He could only nod, taking note to only use Jimmy instead of James. The name fit the Codfather better than his full one anyway. He'd have to use the name is private, too; he doubted anyone beyond the people closest to Jimmy knew his real name. Which meant that Atticus was held in high esteem by the Codfather—by Jimmy.

Jimmy nodded back before turning away to leave. Atticus felt panic rising in his chest; the moment was slipping away from him, and there was still so much he wanted to say.

"Atticus!" he blurted.

Jimmy froze; Atticus could see the way his shoulders tensed. A few seconds later, the older man turned to look at him, brows furrowed. Atticus' mouth felt dry, his tongue like sandpaper against the top of his mouth. He was outside of his own body once again, watching his life move forward from the outside.

Jimmy smiled at him hopefully, realization dawning on him, and Atticus could breathe again.

"No one else knows my name. I'd like to keep it that way, if you'll be so kind." He smiled wryly, holding out his hand. "I'm Atticus."