Chapter 50: Checking Up

Start from the beginning

I furrowed my brows. I'd learned to use the pushback of my rune very effectively. It would be a shame if this new barrier negated that. Trying again with a push, I tried to convey that I wanted the force to travel through my shroud, and sure enough, I felt my center of mass shift as I pushed against the rooftop.

I smirked slightly. That was cool. A final test, then.

I drew my new dagger, the wavy red lines in its steel reflecting the low sun. It was deathly sharp, which I intended to test. I laid the single edge against my palm, pressing lightly. My telekinetic barrier flared, the white crystal lattice becoming more visible as the pressure increased. Eventually, the force of my pressure began to crack the barrier, but it was far and beyond stronger than my normal mana shroud.

Satisfied with my little test, I sheathed the dagger, then focused mana into the telekinetic shroud, trying to mend the small cracks.

And then I found the downside. For those small cracks, it took nearly ten seconds for them to mend. And in a fast-paced battle, a single second could spell your death.

It's incredibly tough, amplifies my strength, and can negate the pushback from my telekinesis. But to balance it out, it takes painfully long to repair, I thought. A mana barrier could be reformed in a split second if you were skilled.

I sighed, giving East Fiachra one last look. It was too soon to see any real differences because of my actions, but I felt a painful desire to see that change. I wasn't a character of some narrative. My actions had consequences. I could change this place.

A few minutes later, I stood in front of an unfamiliar home in West Fiachra.

I knocked on the door, feeling a bit foolish as I waited on the front steps. This was the address Wade had given me after a bit of prodding, and I hoped it was the right one.

The door opened to reveal a familiar old man, his hair greying in patches. Aban blinked as he looked at me, recognition immediately on his face. Then he smiled slightly.

"It's good to see you well, Dusk," he said, opening the door. "Do you want to come in? I wasn't expecting guests, so you'll have to excuse the poor state of my home."

"No worries," I said, hesitantly accepting his invitation. "I won't stay long. I wanted to drop by today to thank you."

Aban led me toward a sitting room. I eased myself into a plush seat, Aban settling across from me. The room was well-worn, and I noticed an open book on the nearby table. It seemed I had interrupted Aban as he read.

"How are you doing?" I asked. "Is your new job treating you well?"

Aban raised a brow. "I'm surprised you're out the Healer so quick, Dusk. I was wondering if you were going to fight again, considering what you did to your hands," he said, looking pointedly at my arms. They were covered, as usual, and I was wearing fingerless gloves. If I looked close enough, I could see tiny lightning scars across my fingers, but they were practically invisible from a distance.

"I'm difficult to kill," I said, smirking at this inside joke of mine.

"But not invincible, clearly," Aban countered, looking at me seriously. "Though to answer your earlier question, Bloodstone Elixirs is treating me well. I've been contracted similarly to how I was with the Joans, tasked with providing a helping hand in Clarwood Forest expeditions." The older man regarded me strangely. "Though I'm surprised you learned that so fast."

I took a deep breath. "I heard that Bloodstone Elixirs is taking credit for the destruction of Blood Joan," I said. "In part by hiring all the mages who helped me escape." I looked at the man seriously. The lines on his face seemed deep, accentuating his age and making him seem older than he really was. "I've got to ask: are you okay? Did they threaten you?"