5. Protector

Verena smiled as Jon wrapped his arms around her from behind, she turned her cheek into her shoulder to see him.

"You doing okay Vee?" Jon questioned kissing her shoulder.

"yeah, you like this woman? This Daenerys? You trust her?" Verena questioned.

"I do." Jon admitted. "I think you will like her Vee." Jon added. "Come on. Come meet her." Verena nodded as jon took her hand leading her along. Gracie chased after Verena jumping up to grab onto her hand. Verena smiled down at her. Gracie pulled their hands apart before standing between them.

"She wants to fly." Verena informed jon. They lifted her up between them and she laughed out.

"Higher!" Gracie shouted. She tried to flip but only got halfway before landing back on her feet.

"My queen," jon remarked loudly getting Daenerys attention. She smiled back at Jon "this is my sister Verena. Verena this is queen Daenerys."

"Nice to officially meet you." Verena offered. "Jon is smitten with you clearly." Jon blushed. "This is my daughter Gracie. Gracie can you say Hi?"

"Hi." She echoed hiding behind Verena skirts.

"She's precious." Daenerys whispered. "Is her father-"

"Dead." Verena cut in. "Its just Gracie and I."

"I had a husband. He died too," daenerys remarked softly. "I had a child, i lost it. I lost them both I was having a little boy..." daenerys still carried that loss with her. Verena picked up gracie.

"Im sorry for your losses. Perhaps you and a special someone can try again in the future." Verena suggested.

"After I get my crown." Daenerys corrected. Verena chuckled.

"A family is worth more than a piece of metal." Verena assured. "But I think you already know that."

🔥

The dragons blazed out a fire clearly annoyed with all the snow and sandor tensed. Verena glanced to him transfixed by the fire.  Verena reached out touching sandors thigh. She didnt have to say anything. Sandors racing heart settled and he stared down at her small hand on his thigh.

"I get it you know." Sandor remarked.

"What?"

"What you did to Gregor."

"Ki-"

"You calmed him down. You do it with me without even trying, just your presence Verena... its soothing." Sandor admitted.

"I dont know that I calmed him down. We didnt... he was still... he had his moments." Verena settled on. "He was really excited to be a father. Really excited."

"I didnt see him love anything except killing and torture but he loved you. He would have loved Gracie." Sandor admitted. Verena smiled back at him.

"You know I thought you were handsome the first time I saw you."

"No you didnt." Sandor grumbled.

"Yes I did." Verena corrected. "I think myself a very honest person like my father was. I wouldnt lie to you."

"You need to get your eyes checked then." Sandor decided.

"I thought you were handsome then and I still think you are." Verena went on. Sandor stared back at her. "You let so many tell you what you are and what you arent. You had so many people calling you dog and hound that I think you and gregor both forgot that you are people underneath the sword and shield. What do all people need?"

"What?" Sandor questioned.

"Love." Verena answered.

"Dont need love." Sandor grumbled

"Compassion. Grace. Patience. Someone to listen and not judge off your past." Verena offered.

"You did that with gregor." Sandor agreed.

"I knew what he did. Of course I did but I tried to judge him off the person he was with me. Not the person before... not the mistakes of the past."

"You are too good for this world verena."

"And you dont give yourself enough credit. Arya told me you saved her. She grumbled a lot but I know you tried to save her. You wanted to take sansa and I away that day the battle of black water bay." Verena added. "You want to protect. You are a protector. Not a monster like the lannisters claimed you to be."

"You really believe that." Sandor realized.

"I really do."