She had been noticing changes in her body, especially her gaining weight but she didn't think she was expecting otherwise doctors would have informed her or family when she was hospitalized.

"Come quickly and sit," Ammi told her affectionately with a smile.

She sat on the small stool and held Ammi's fragile hands gently.

"Ammi, why didn't you inform me or Saim?" She asked Ammi with a complaint in her voice.

"Because I wanted you newly married couple to enjoy your life happily instead of worrying about my life here," Ammi answered her, pulling her cheeks gently.

"Ammi, your well-being is our happiness too. Please don't expel us from your life," Mehrun whispered, looking into her eyes.

Ammi's eyes welled up with tears as she pulled Mehrun in a tight embrace, kissing her head.

"Ok. Ok. I will not do it next time. Tell me how my grandson is treating you? Do I need to pull his ears?" Ammi asked her with a tease, changing the sad atmosphere.

"He's perfect, Ammi. Always gentle," Mehrun told her, putting her on Ammi's lap.

But inwardly she couldn't help and think of him again. 'Minus bed matters'. She recalled their intense memories in her head, how he didn't leave her until her voice was dried up of crying and screaming his name before she left for Pakistan.

"At least we have a gentleman in our family," Ammi whispered with a smile and stroked her head gently.

Mehrun closed her eyes on Ammi's lap and felt happy.

"Ammi?"

"Yes?"

Mehrun lifted her head and looked at her with plea in eyes.

"Let's go home. Please," She requested Ammi then added softly, "Phupho is very worried about you. You live alone here with no proper security or caretaker. Please go back with me. I promise no one will disturb you there."

She was also scared of something happening to Ammi and no one would be here to know quickly. And her age wasn't something to ignore where she needed at least someone to take care of her health.

But Ammi chuckled and shook her head with a smile then pointed at the house in front of hers.

"Do you see the upper floor of that house? I know Arash has a family that has moved there to take care of me daily. They send three meals everyday and help me with chores too."

"That's good, Ammi. But Phupho and Arash Uncle will be very happy if you come back. And it's not about chores and daily meals, it's about you, Ammi. Our elderly family member. And there's a saying too, if there's no elder in the house then the provision will be slowed there too," Mehrun tried again with her pleading.

Ammi smiled at her sincere words and actions and stroked her head gently.

"I appreciate your concern, my child. But I have kids here to teach Qur'an and give tutions too. And I used to live alone here before too so it's not difficult to get accustomed to this place again."

Mehrun lowered her eyes and held Ammi's hands. She knew it wouldn't be easy to convince Ammi but she was determined to try again.

"You can teach them from home too, Ammi. From computers, online classes... please for my peace of mind or I'll not leave from here or Pakistan . I will stay here, with you," She blackmailed Ammi stubbornly, not backing down.

"What about my grandson?" Ammi asked her with a fake glare.

"Let him live alone," Mehrun answered with a shrug, stubbornly.

Ammi could see the resemblance of Mirha's temperament in her behavior and stubbornness. Finally, she nodded her head with tears in her eyes.

"Alright. Let's go home. Otherwise my Saim would be alone forever. I'll go home with you."

Mehrun pulled her in an embrace and grinned happily. She didn't know that Saim-card was this powerful and it would make Ammi agree so easily.

• • •

Mehrun looked at the box that servant handed her. She went to her bedroom and untied it with a smile, knowing what was inside.

Seeing the gajre, a beautiful smile bloomed on her face. She put them in her hands and picked her phone to take pictures but on second thought instead of opening the camera, she opened WhatsApp. There were so many messages but she ignored all except for the one pinned on top.

Saim.

The mess you created! Who will clean it now?
🖼️
[Mess of her novels mixed with his documents]

Next time arrange your mess before leaving

The cook put too much spice in meals. I'm alone to eat now. If she makes this mistake, I'll fire her.

The cleaning staff can't do their job correctly. So much dust everywhere. One more mistake on their account, I'll fire them too.

You mixed my watches with yours. I can't find mine because of you

A chuckle escaped from her lips as she read them. She knew he was trying to sound angry to her and complaining about everything, indirectly trying to pin all the blame on her. Instead of replying to him, she let him grumble to himself alone and called another person.

The housekeeper of their Amore Vita.

After the call, Mehrun began to get ready for the small event her mom and Phupho were taking her to.

"Hey! Have a kid of your own and make him or her grow up quickly. I don't want to be separated from my husband for too long," Laraib complained to Mehrun while putting the spoonful of cake in her mouth.

Mehrun paused and glanced at her with a slightly parted mouth. She knew her dad was training Mohsin to take over the company until there was any heir ready to take over but coming this directly from her best friend, she was flustered.

"Sorry. We are not in a hurry like you," Mehrun replied to her, pointing to Laraib's swollen stomach.

"I seriously hate you, Mehrun. I will not talk to you again," Laraib glared at her with the fork in her direction.

But a few seconds later, Laraib pushed the empty plate in front of her arrogantly.

"Go and bring me pasta," She ordered Mehrun.

Knowing the swings of her pregnant best friend's mood, Mehrun got up with the empty plate to get pasta for her bestie.

"Excuse me, ma'am! Shaizum sir wants to meet you."

. . . . . . . . . .

This chapter is dedicated to all who wanted to see Zunaira happy and Yaqub regretting everything. I couldn't show the whole situation in this chapter since the whole book is about Saim and Mehrun, but I will give you all a bonus chapter of Zunaira, Yaqub and Naila on Ishq-e-Ashiyana [Collection of Short Stories].

The short one shot on them will be under the name of "The present that unbound them". It will be updated soon. Keep your eyes on the notification on my profile.

Edited, the special thanks to ruhanishah42 for giving me ideas for Zunaira.❤️

Lastly, don't forget to give a vote and feedback if you like this chapter.