43 | Familiar but Unwanted

"KAVYA YOU HAVE GOT to believe me," I said, her eyes revealing the weight of my confession

"KAVYA YOU HAVE GOT to believe me," I said, her eyes revealing the weight of my confession. "Dropping out of medical college was never part of my plan. I never even wanted it in the first place. I did it to escape the unwanted arranged marriage."

"I never planned this for myself," I affirmed to Kavya who had completely gone silent since the time I dropped the bomb on her. "It was an abrupt decision, a way to escape a situation I wasn't ready for."

Just as the weight of my confession settled in the air, and Nishaant, who had probably overheard part of our conversation, walked away with a sigh, leaving both of us stunned.

"He heard, didn't he?" Kavya whispered, watching Nishaant's retreating figure.

I nodded, my eyes following Nishaant through the wedding crowd. "Shit. I need to talk to him, Kavya."

With that I followed him back to the foyer.
"Nishaant, wait!" I called, grabbing his arm.

He turned to face me with an exaggerated expression of indifference. "What's the matter, Divya? More surprises, or have you dropped out of another institution?"

I sighed, realizing the gravity of my confession. "Look, I know this is a lot to take in, but I need you to understand. It's not about you or the arranged marriage; it's about me figuring out what I want."

He raised an eyebrow, feigning nonchalance. "Oh, just you figuring out what you want? How convenient."

I winced at his sarcasm. "I didn't plan for any of this, Nishaant. It's just... life happened."

He sighed dramatically, his eyes scanning the chaotic scene around us where tonight's dinner prep was going on. "Life always happens, doesn't it?"

I searched for words, my eyes pleading for understanding. "I didn't mean for things to get so tangled. And as for us, Nishaant, I need to be honest. I ran away from the wedding, not necessarily from you. Now, I'm realizing I might have misunderstood a lot of things."

He chuckled bitterly, his eyes filled with a mix of frustration and disappointment. "So, what now? You drop out of college, and suddenly everything's back to normal? We go back to the life we never had?"

I shook my head, the weight of the situation sinking in. "No, Nishaant, I'm not expecting things to magically go back to normal. I just need the chance to figure out what normal is for me."

I couldn't help but feel a flutter of relief as Nishaant's gaze softened, and his vulnerable honesty cut through the tension. His words, however, caught me off guard.

"You know, Divya, you're right. Don't worry, you'll figure it out. We'll figure it out." He smiled widely. "After all, we're getting married."

My eyes widened in disbelief, and then it hit me — the playful mischief in his eyes. "Wait, what?" I exclaimed, an amused grin spreading across my face. "Is this your way of proposing, Nishaant?"