39 | A Lie to Yourself

"VEDIKA, RAISE THE STRING a little higher

"VEDIKA, RAISE THE STRING a little higher. It's not in perfect alignment." I put my hands on my waist watching Vedika wrestle with the fairy lights.

How she was going to get the lights hanged is the biggest question of all time.

"Zivah, if I go higher than this, I'll probably be on the floor with you in no time." Vedika being her smartass self, grumbles. Then she makes a great leap on the heightened stool that almost scares me. Vedika gasps, a little shaken by the move she made herself.

"Zivah, tell her to get down." Dhruv shouts from afar as he lays a chair next to a table.

Today in the morning, Sumi treated all of us with an extraordinary breakfast and then dropped the bomb that the organising committee was low on people; and obviously that meant that we were expected to be the said 'organising committee'.

Now that I think about it, it's pretty dumb of us to assume that Sumi would offer pizza for breakfast without wanting anything in return.

It's been exactly four hours since all of us are tossing and throwing chairs, tables and decorations all over the place.

"But she ought to listen, Dhruv," I groaned. Vedika makes another jump, and surprisingly, her hand reaches the tip of the pole as she crosses the threads successfully. Dhruv grunts and stomps alongside me in no time and shouts, "Vedika, get down. Now. It won't be funny when you break your leg."

Vedika ignores him as she continues to interwine the wires of the light to the pole.

"Why the fuck is she so stubborn?" Dhruv groans near me and I laugh.

"You think this is funny?" he turns to me.

I raise my eyebrows at him. "What's up with your parents though?" I find myself asking randomly.

He just shrugs. "They keep fighting and making up. You can't really tell what goes on with them."

I nod in realization, "that explains why their sons have so many commitment issues."

He looks at me pointedly. "Please, you're only right if you're talking about Arjun. Me, on the other hand, I am not scared of commitment."

I stare at him longer than I should have.

He seems to notice that because his lips curl up just a little but in a smirk.

"You know, it's high time you guys get together now. It's turning boring for all of us now." Vedika unnecessarily comments, tiptoing on the stool.

Before I can potentially shut her up, a strongly loud yell cuts in. "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!!" Sumi shouts excitedly in the loudest tone possible.

We turn to see Sumi hurdling over the setup furniture to get to a woman who had just made a grand entrance through the gates of the Singh-Gupta Household.