01 | Entering the Hell-hole

'XAVIER'S MEDICAL HOSTEL', read the big board on top of the hostel building

I gape at the hostel in front of me. It was nothing like one. It was fully covered in glass and with its ravishing exterior, it looked like a luxurious five-star resort.

This college was probably for the spoilt, rich spoon-fed kids who got admission through their dad's money. But I didn't care. People who studied here, always became well-known doctors. Though I would prefer going to a normal medical college, my dad wanted me to go here, so here I was.

I come from a family of doctors. My grandfather, my dad, my mom, are all doctors. So this was pretty much what I was expected to do also.

Follow the legacy.

No, I wasn't pressurised into taking medical. But, I had no other plans, so medical it was.

Last two years had been very hectic, studying and all, but it had been worth it because I had gotten admission in one of the best medical universities of India.

Dad had been very proud of me. No one in our family had cleared those medical exams in such a short span of time. I was happy that he was happy. Yes, I was that altruistic nerd who loved her parents way too much and always did what they wanted me to. But they too, cared about my opinions. So it was pretty much a win-win.

It was almost 4pm when I stepped into the hostel for the first time ever, struggling with my bag and two suitcases, praying silently that I would make some decent friends, though it seemed pretty impossible with my shy, introverted personality. I didn't want to be bullied like I had been in my previous college but luck was never going to be on my side and I knew it.

I looked around to see that the whole hall, which was supposed to be the ground floor was bigger than my entire previous college. The hall was filled with leather couches here and there and it was filled with the buzzing voices of students who were scattered everywhere. There was a big reception with a lady standing behind the counter who was probably supposed to help clueless students like me. I walk upto her and smile.

"Hey. How can I help you?" She asks politely.

"I'm a new student here," I reply.

As soon as I say that, she looks down at her computer and begins typing something before looking back at me. "Sure thing. Can you help me with your name?"

"Kavya Patel."

"Okay, please take a seat," She points to one of the couches placed against the wall, near the reception. "I'll be back in a while."

After she leaves, I sit down quietly not wanting to draw any attention. I get a few stares from people around me but I eventually look down not wanting to socialise.

I sigh, resting my head back against the wall, I allow my eyes to flutter shut. I didn't get any sleep at all on the plane ride because of a man two rows in front, snoring who sounded like his respiratory system was failing.