33 | The Precious Present

THE SUN HAD SET, spreading a harsh, but cool chill over the entire campus

THE SUN HAD SET, spreading a harsh, but cool chill over the entire campus. I walk across the the Hostel hallway, making my way towards the Boys Hostel.

Divya had texted me; "Boys Hostel. Meet me now. It's urgent."

Honestly, I knew better than to believe the 'urgent' part. There was always something violent happening around here. Bashing, snooping, bullying, cursing and fighting are things that happen almost everyday in this hostel. I'm pretty sure even killing would become casual in a few days.

We were studying here to become doctors, but look at the irony. Everyday, people here are hurt, physically or mentally.

I take the staircase leading to the main hall of the Boys Hostel. Glancing around, I realise everything was silent.

A little too silent.

Normally, guys would be shouting, screaming or talking on the top of their voices, but everything here was suspiciously, too quiet.

Probably everyone was packed up in the common room together, watching a movie or collectively planning a bank robbery; Either of the two are quite the possibilities. You never know what happens in the Boys Hostel. One minute, everyone is trying to plot ways to murder each other and the next minute, all of them are found in one room studying together.

I open the huge door to the common room to see that it was completely dark and empty. There was no sound nor evidence of any human presence. Did someone break the lights in here? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Stupidity in the Boys hostel had no limits, whatsoever.

I was going to turn around and leave when the lights suddenly flickered on as a chorus of shouts explode though the room.

"Happy birthday, Zivah!"

Not gonna lie, I was not only temporarily blinded, but also temporarily deafened. A smile formed across my lips as I spotted some familiar faces across the room.

I look around to see that the entire common room was covered in blue. They had covered the walls with blue paper, the couches were covered with different shades of blue bed sheets, streamers of all shades of blue hung from the ceiling in a mess and everyone wore blue shirts. Okay, I get it; blue was my favourite colour, but this was way overboard. Nevertheless, I liked their efforts.

There was a table to my right which was also covered in dark blue cloth on top of which was a big fancy blue cake. I go near the cake to see what was written on it; 'Happy birthday, Geeva.' Not exactly my spelling, but okay.

"I told that idiot to write 'Zivah' and even spelled it for him fifteen times but—" Divya animatedly begins to explain but I cut her off.

"It's okay," I smile. I glance around to see everyone looking at me eagerly, waiting like five-year-olds for the cake to be distributed. It was the entire Boys Hostel including Kavya, Divya, Vedika and me.