Chapter 34

“Leo, keep him distracted, I’m going to find Akio” 

Over the years, there had always been rivalry between Leonardo and Raphael, the two wouldn’t be who they were without the constant bickering that they went through with one another. Everytime they argued, they made a connection with one another through their spirits, which at the time they never knew until they became mates and found that they could share memories with one another. It was rare to catch the two of them not arguing when they were teenagers but that was how they bonded. Of course with the rivalry came the physical fights which mainly happened when none of them could agree with one another, mainly it was Raphael who exploded first but Leonardo had anger too, some of which neither knew when to shut up leading to their fights and the spirits getting angry. Which soon led to a fight, one that could have been avoided by talking to one another. But with these two, anything could have been avoided through peace if they just used their brains. 

However in this case, the fight couldn't be avoided as it was Raphael who needed help to snap out of his dark side and this would be through Leonardo breaking him out of it, not only to save his husband but their children. The ones who lay dying were barely alive but only because they were strongly connected to their mother who was corrupted, meaning they were on a time limit. 

While avoiding a punch or two, Leo clashed swords with the one he loved, well technically Raphael wasn’t on the outside, a type of demon as Leo soon found out. His mind went back to when he first admitted he liked the man in front of him. 

Memory…

It had been a month since fifteen Raphael had returned from his spirit journey as Hamato Yoshi was calling it but Leonardo knew one thing Raphael had changed in his body slightly. Yes, he was still the smallest turtle out of the three older ones. Mikey was the smallest and youngest but Raphael was a bit smaller than the other two but he was much more muscular and stronger than before. As he proved it in the spar he and Leonardo had just had. Leo was impressed and he couldn’t stop thinking about the hothead of their group. One that he may have found attracted too, not that he could blame himself. Especially since when hothead went missing, Leo and the others spent hours searching for him only to come up empty. Donatello and Michaelangelo gave up after a time period while Leo continued waiting every night for the hothead to walk back to their home. 

Only for the time Leo was training in the sewers, to come across a terrified hothead who had looked to have been in a fight and basically dived for Leo’s arms, the blue bandana turtle had never felt so much relief as he tucked the smaller turtle under his chin and reassured him that he was safe. 

“Penny for your thoughts?” 

Leonardo visibly jumped from where he was seated on his bed, to see a certain hothead at the door of his bedroom, he looked slightly uncomfortable. 

“Nothing much. Are you okay?” Leo could only ask softly and quietly since it was near midnight. 

“Not really, nightmares are back. Can I sleep in here?” Raph’s soft tone had Leo smiling as he lifted his blanket. Raphael grinned, shutting the door gently before he made his way over to the bed only to climb into it beside the older turtle. Leo never moved from where he had been sitting up reading, he was about to continue when Raph’s voice had him thinking again. 

“Leo?” 

“Yes?” 

“Do you ever think about love and future mates?” 

That question definitely threw Leo off as he looked down to see the red bandana turtle staring up at him wearing a thoughtful expression. 

“Yes, I have” Leo admitted, he wore a gentle smile and went to turn the lamp off as he put his book away when a hand grabbed his own wrist and he turned to face Raphael, the hothead smirking.