Chapter Sixty-One: Only One Way to Find Out

Start from the beginning

That was when I felt like I had to take up the matter to my own hand. I hated nepotism but it was time to use my brother for a greater good of society. 

"We know about the match fixing," I told her without any warning which made Jayden look from the doorway and Austin gasp in surprise. 

Kate's demeanor suddenly dropped along with her phone, and shock was replaced instead of the usual sneer that always floats on her face.

"How do you..." she started a little soupy but then her face hardened. "What are you talking about?"

"Northern High is going to lose on purpose on today's game, we know it. And we know you all know it too."

She looked down, muttered a quick, "I'll fucking kill you when I get my hands on you, Jenny, then looked back up, her eyes were shrunk to a slit. "Where are you going with this?" 

I took a deep breath, thanked Blake for something he'd told me last year and started my speech. 

"This might sound a little out of the box but I think... you all heard about the thing where two of our students were in a police chase... a month ago?" I purposefully pack the fact that she knew something about it up, to use later.

"It was a big thing yeah, what about it?"

"It was Jayden and I who got chased."

She went very very silent and Jayden grabbed my elbow from behind, yanking me to a side. "What the hell are you doing Queen?"

I yanked my hand back. "Stop pulling and trust me. I mean... as much as you can."

We looked at Kate, waiting for her to say anything but when she didn't, I cleared my throat. "I'm sorry if that came out as a shock but what I'm trying to say is that it was the lamest thing ever to even start a rumor about in the first place (I guess our school lacks the drama department, you know?) We drew graffiti on a wall, a cop saw us and chased us away from the town and it was four in the morning we found the way again and we had some tailing us all along."

"...Oh."

"We're doing this because we have a suspicion that the person who's after us has some kind of motive behind. So we're going to find who the culprit behind all of it is. It was our guess that it could be you but then we snooped around, then found out you were just a pawn."

"...Oh."

"yup," I nodded. "So, Kate, what I'm gonna tell you is this-" I took a deep breath and thanked Blake again. "We're going to catch that person and we need your help."

I could feel Austin backing away and take a more good look at the drama. The other three however were baffled and in a nutshell: stupefied. And Jayden wasn't in my field of vision right now so I couldn't say what he thought.

"We didn't need it of course," I say matter-of-factly, looking over at Jayden. "Your help I mean. But I've heard somewhere that to make great plans to work, you have to be fluid with environment. Besides, the more the better."

"You just made that up." Austin chimed, despite the atmosphere.

"Shut up."

I look at Kate again, trying not to look like I was shitting around and was actually serious because I was.

The girl gaped for a couple of seconds, trying to say anything... Whatever that made sense I think but came up with nothing really.

But of course there was her usual uptight was which came back just like how it had gone out.

Her face hardened again and she crossed her arms. "Are you joking? Of course I wouldn't help you."

"Why not?"