Chapter 1

The full moon stood proud in the dark sky and rain softly fell from the heavens.

Sundari felt a chill run down her spine as she was dragged by the men from the village into the dark forest. The pale light of the full moon illuminated the dark forest, highlighting the fear and dread that was coursing through her veins. She wanted to scream and run, but her feet were frozen in place as the men pulled her further and further away from safety.  

"Please," she pleaded, her voice trembling. "Don't do this. I'm innocent, I've done nothing wrong!"

But the men didn't listen, they kept dragging her, their grip tightening on her arms. Tears streamed down her face as she helplessly begged for them to stop.   The men stopped in the middle of the forest and Sundari was thrown to the ground. She looked around frantically, her heart racing. The priest had told the men that they must sacrifice a widowed virgin in order to get the dark spirits to leave the village. Sundari was the only virgin living on the outskirts of the village and they had chosen her.

The dark forest was deeply eerie and foreboding, with shadows dancing on the trees and eerie howls coming from the distance. Everything seemed to be shrouded in a mysterious fog, and the only light came from the full moon, casting an eerie glow on the trees and underbrush. Sundari could feel the darkness pressing in on her, and a chill ran through her body as she realized the danger she was in.

"No," she whispered, her voice trembling with fear. "This can't be happening." But it was. She was surrounded by the men and the priest, and there was no escape.   The priest took out a knife and Sundari felt her body go numb with terror. She closed her eyes and started to pray, begging for a miracle to save her. But no miracle came, and she felt the cold blade of the knife against her skin.

  The men started chanting as the priest made the sacrifice, and Sundari's eyes filled with tears. She felt like she was in a nightmare, and yet the pain was very real. She wanted to scream, to run away, but her body was frozen in place, her fear paralyzing her.

Sundari lay still on the ground, her body trembling with fear and shock. She had been chosen to be sacrificed for the dark spirits, and her life would never be the same.

The villagers had collectively decided that Sundari would be the sacrifice, but none of them were willing to marry her and then die for the ritual. The mayor of the village stepped forward and suggested that he had found a rotten corpse that had fallen from the sky a century ago, and that if they married Sundari to the corpse, it should solve the problem.

"We can just get her united to the corpse," the mayor said. "It will be a quick and painless ritual, and then we can put this whole incident behind us."

The villagers looked at each other in disbelief. Was the mayor really suggesting that they marry a young woman to a dead body? It seemed absurd and cruel, but they had no other choice. Sundari had tears streaming down her face as she looked around at the villagers, pleading with them to find another solution.

"Please," she said. "Don't do this. I'm innocent, I've done nothing wrong! There must be another way." But the villagers just stood there in silence, unwilling to help her. In the end, the mayor's suggestion was the only solution they had, and so Sundari was resigned to her fate. She was to be married to the corpse, and the dark spirits would finally be driven away from the village.

Sundari felt powerless as the priest started the dark rituals. The wind blew around her, and she could hear the sound of thunder in the distance. The villagers were murmuring amongst themselves, and she could feel their eyes on her. She tried to summon her powers, but it was no use. The full moon had drained all of her strength, and she was powerless to fight back.