A New Life - Chapter 23

Tw. Implied ed

*About a week later*

The sun rose and shone through my windows,
*Knock knock*
"Wake up Hunter! Time for breakfast!"
I was startled by the voice, I was still getting use to living at the Owl House. Also getting use to actually sleeping in. I was definitely getting better, I woke up at about 6:45 instead of 6:00!I swiftly pushed myself out if bed. Rushing out the door, I scurried through the hallway.

"Good Morning!" The Owl Lady spoke, "Had a good rest?"
"Mhm."
I was still struggling abit to get words out. Loosing Flapjack was a big change, one I'm not sure I'll get over for awhile.
"Well, we've got Griffen eggs if you're hungry."
"It's okay. I'm okay for now."
I could feel my stomach grumble. But I still didn't want to eat. I just couldn't.
"You haven't eaten all week. Just one egg?"
"Nono, I'm really fine."
Eda stared at me, she didn't believe me at all.
"Well, try eat at some point, Okay? I'm going to the market with King and Luz. I'd love to take you too, but you are the most wanted at the moment."
She was right, posters of me littered almost every wall in the Boiling Isles. Luckily, No coven scouts had come round yet.
"See you soon, Eda. T-thank you." I muttered.
"No problem kid! Be careful, we won't be long."
"Bye, Hunter!"
"Bye Human."
The three of them walked out of The Owl House before flying away on Owlbert. Guess I was alone now.

I fell backwards into the sofa.
"Uggh! Why can't I just feel happy that Eda took me in?" Nothing felt right. Even if this was the best I'd ever lived, something was wrong. It was probably Flap. Thinking about it, maybe I should repay her? Yeah! I'm gonna be productive while she's gone!
Pretty much all of my major wounds had healed, just left a few scars. So I was all ready to work around the house. You've got this Hunter!

I rushed to the kitchen. As expected, the sink was an ocean of dirty dishes. "This might not be the best idea," I reminded myself, I don't even know how to wash dishes. Either way, I reached into the pile, pulling out a small glass cup.
"Guess I'll start with you."
As I grasped the cup, I noticed how shakey my hand were. It's okay Hunter, this is for Eda. This is for-
*Smash*
I felt something sharp hit my foot,
"Owch."
Then the realization hit me. The cup, I had dropped the cup. How could I be so irresponsible? I collapsed onto the floor, trying to pick up pieces.
"Sh*t, Edas gonna be furious!"
The small shards cut my fingers as I grabbed them. Careful, I walked to the bin. Throwing them in and covering it in other rubbish and whatnot. She can't know, she can't know! What if she sends me back to the coven? I bet the three of them will get a nice reward for that! Just calm down Hunter, like Raine showed you. You need to calm down.

I could barely feel myself breathe. The memories came flooding back

---------------------------------------------------------

"Hunter, what is this?
"I-I- I'm sorry, Emperor Belos."
He walked closer, I could already see his arm changing.
"This better be clean when I'm back."
He sent a quick warning shot. Missing my torso my millimeters.
"Understood."

---------------------------------------------------------

Nonono! Eda wasn't like that! I think that was all the glass cleared up. I strolled back to the living room. Why did I mess up everything. I turned my head to the side, expecting Flap to be here for me. Why did I keep doing this, pretending he might still be here? I layed silently on the sofa. Maybe I should rest abit? I slowly shut my eyes. This was better, much better.

Eda's POV

"That's us done for the day! C'mon kid."
We didn't get too many customers today, but we at least got enough. While we were walking back, I noticed tons of scouts interrogating tons of people, asking about the Golden Guard, checking their wrists for his sigil. It just made me more anxious. When we found a nice spot, everyone jumped onto Owlbert. Hopefully Hunters doing okay..

"Knock knock! Hunter, we're hooommee!"
Luz swung the door open, but he was fast asleep on the sofa. I turned to her,
"I'm going to work on lunch, you do whatever witches your age do."
"Rightio!"
I walked to the kitchen, moving near the sink.
"I really need to clean this all up. Owch!"
Something jabbed my foot,
"Was that, glass?"
Why was there broken glass on the floor. I hadn't broken anything recently. Anyways, I picked up the shard and threw it in the bin.
"Huh-"
The whole bin was covered in broken glass. What happened? I spun my head around to see Hunter peeking through the door, trembling.
"I-I. I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to, I promise. I tried to clean it up but-"
I could tell he was distressed. When I walked towards him, I noticed the boy suddenly flinched backwards.
"It's fine! Don't worry."
"Huh"
I gently placed my hand on his shoulder.
"As long as you didn't hurt yourself, it's fine"

Hunter's POV

"As long as you didn't hurt yourself, it's fine"
Why we're they being so kind. Just a few weeks ago, I was their enemy. But now, they were taking such good care of me.
"Oh, Thank you, Eda."
I wandered back to the living room.
"Hey Hunter! Want a Earths bar? I found some at the market!"
Luz offered a small chocolate bar my way.
"No thanks."
We sat on the sofa, talking to one another.
"What was it like living in the Emperors coven?"
"Um, it was okay I guess. Belos kept me from alot of the other scouts since I was much younger then most of them. I did a lot of training too. Why do you ask?"
"Just curious! And how are we going to deal with the day of Unity?"
"I- I'm not sure. All I know, is we have to take down Belos!"
"Yeah!"
We continued chatting about the day of Unity until Eda announced something.
"Kids! I'm going to the night-market tonight! Foods in the kitchen when you get hungry."
Luz threw her thumb up and I nodded in agreement.
"Got it!"

A few hours passed and Eda left for the Night-market. Leaving Luz, King and I alone.
"Hungry yet?"
"Nu-uh. I'll probably go to sleep soon."
I had been trying to get more sleep lately, especially since I got barely any at the coven.
"At least eat something first! You'll be starving in the morning!"
"I'll be fiiine! Night night Luz!"
I quietly laughed as I walked off. It was nice living with Luz. She felt like a sister to me.
"Hey! You. Have. To. Eat!!!"
She yelled as I walked upstairs to where I was sleeping at the time.

I fell backwards into my small mattress, Turning my head to a small shine I made.
"I miss you, Flap."
For the last time today, I closed my eyes.
"I like this new life, I wish you could be here too. Night night."
No response, as expected.

Word count:1227