Escapologist - Chapter 18

Wednesday arrived and I was ready as ever! Since I ate all of this week's rations, I felt pretty good aswell. I sat still in the corner of the cell to conserve my energy. I patiently waited for a scout to arrive at the cell.
"You ate all you food this week."
I lunged towards bars seperating us before grabbing onto the coven scout.
"Steve right? Open this door, right now."
He stared at me in shock, guess he didn't expect this.
"Please. The Emperor is going to kill me"
Even if I was trying to act confident, I was trembling. There wasn't a good chance this was going to work. I just had to hope Steve would feel enough sympathy to open the door. I felt my eyes swell up. Not now Hunter, not now. I felt myself collapse on the floor before hearing the creaky sound of rusty bars.
"Good luck, Golden Guard. I don't wanna be in this sh*tty coven anymore."
I pushed myself up, decided of whether I should hug him. It didn't seem appropriate, either way, I wrapped my arms around him.
"Thank you, thank you!"
"Your bird is caged in your room. Steve's leaving this coven!"
He threw his mask on the ground before walking off. I ran in the opposite direction. I'm coming for you Flapjack!

I darted across shadowy hallways and stairs. It wasn't too often that I came so far down so I knew I'd have trouble find my room. Even just getting out of The Conformatorium was a challenge. I felt bad for all the others trapped in cells, but I didn't have too much time on my hand, so I couldn't really help. The main building was surrounded by other scouts. Other scouts who probably love Emperor Belos. I didn't have Flap or my Artificial staff so how could I even fight them. Was I just going to have to run for it? No, I was 'The Golden Guard'! Even if there was tons of them and they all had magic, I think I could get past, mabye.

I sprinted past scouts, carefully pushing them out the way. My luck had to be running out at this point. I heard words being muttered to one another.
"Is that, The golden guard?"
"You've got to be kidding me."
I felt hit after hit throw itself into me, but I had so much adrenaline, I just kept running. It didn't hurt yet, but I knew it was gonna be hell when I had calmed down. You're not far now! Just keep going! Just keep-
I stopped dead in my tracks.
"Aren't you suppose to be rotting away in a cell?"
Adrian Graye? A coven head?! Guess I was right about my luck running out.
"Should I take you back to your cell? Or maybe going straight to Belos would be better?"
"I-I-"
"You? You? Come on, Golden Guard, We both have places to be."
He held tightly into my wrist before dragging me away.

"Belos isn't who you think he is! You have to believe me!"
The grip wasn't getting and gentler so I don't think I was going to get out any time soon. I was gonna die, wasn't I? This was it. I wasn't ready! I wanted to attend school, and make friends! Mabye even learn to carve palismen! And we got closer to the castle, I felt my anxiety build up. I took a deep breath before closing my eyes. If I was going to die, I might as well be ready for it.

Willow's POV

I didn't usually go on walks alone anymore. But I had this feeling I should today. I don't know why, but something was telling me to. I walked down the grass-covered path. I actually wasn't sure where I was going. Just going with the flow! Or the carefully dug out dirt path. As I did, I noticed two people in front of me. A tall man with dark-blue hair carrying a shorter blonde boy. Wait, I recognized them! It was the head of the Illusion coven and, The Golden Guard? I think Luz said he was called Hunter? Who cares about him name, he's bleeding badly. I'm not sure what happened, but I ran towards the both of them, hand ready to help.

I threw numerous vines their way before running to grab the Golden Guard. Why was I even doing this? What if Graye was helping? This just feels right.
"Clover, Over here!"
My palismen flew over to me, becoming a staff so I could fly away. Quickly, I rushed away with Hunter.

Hunter's POV

I woke up again, flying through the wind.
"H-huh!"
"You're awake! Sorry to startle you, you didn't look too good, so I picked you up. Are you okay?"
My ear flushed a redish-pink colour.
"Thank you."
I held on tightly, a bit anxious I'd fall off. That's when it hit me. Flapjack! I left Flapjack! How could I be so stupid!
"Y-you have to put me down!"
"Huh, what do you mean?"
My eyes began to feel teary again. Why did this keep happening.
"Flapjack! I-I left him there! Belos is going to kill him!"
"Flapjack? Wait, that's your palismen, right?"
I nodded my head, still clinging on tightly. There was no way I was leaving Flapjack.
"Do you know where in the castle he is?'
"Mhm."
"Let's get him back then! We'll have to be quick!"
How did she trust me so much already? I was the enemy, but she saw me hurt, saved me, and now risking herself for my palismen?

I pointed the way towards the castle. We safely dropped to the ground.
"You know the way from here?"
Even if she was helping me, the girl seemed about anxious.
"Yeah, he should be in my room. I'll be quick, I promise."
"We'll be quick, I'm coming with you!"
Was she being serious? I didn't mind, as long as she didn't get herself hurt.
"Oh! Um, let's go then!"

Word count:1014