CHAPTER 13 Annelise

I walk for about one hour, thinking about the memories l made these past days, bad and good as well as painful and happy.

To be honest, Dorian broke my heart. I really thought we were friends. I really thought we carried about each other after that night we almost drowned and he saved me. I still remember the faint warmth i felt on my lips when i woke up at the beach, him above me. I remember it all too well to forget. Too well to forgive. I shake my head along with my thoughts.

I can see the Atlanta palace from here. I'm close, so so close. I'm hopeful and thinking about how to present myself without seeming cringe until Victoria's father appears in front of me with his horse. "Ha! Seems like your prince charming wasn't fast enough." He pants.

What is he talking about? His guards are surrounding me and l move my head trying to find a quick escape. No, there is no escape from this. Victoria warned me. I should have been more careful. "Woo! You are different from yesterday, though. You must have taken of that crap of a necklace you were wearing. Good, l want you to be beautiful for the night's event." He announces.

"I know who you are," I begin, my voice slow and confident. l try to hide my fear. "And l am not afraid, grand duke. Once l rise to the throne you will be done for."

"No. No, sunshine. You won't be alive to reach that beautiful throne of yours. But my son will, it's his reward for bringing you to me, you know." My heart stops at his words. Of course there would be a reward for Dorian! He wouldn't bring me here for free, he wanted to take my place? I try to believe the grand duke yet I can't bring myself to. It just doesn't seem right to me. Victoria told me that her brother was not a bad person, although they didn't talk much, he wasn't.

"If l don't kill you, karma will." I blur, totally feeling as if i was out of character. I've never considered killing but now l do. And l hate being robbed. I don't want to rise to the throne because of it's luxury or power, l want to return to my family and if it's possible even rule with them. I lied when l told him that l would punish him once l was on the throne.

"Guards! On her knees!" He commands and before l can understand his words l feel a stick hit the back of my knees forcing me to kneel. "Well, now that's a good girl."

I look up at him, disgust in my eyes. I try to rise on my feet but fail as the guard behind me hits me again. I'm at fours now, closing sand in my fist furiously. "No woman can rule a whole kingdom, little princess." He says mocking me "Especially a little girl, like you." I watch him grin at me as he waves his hand. I frown confused, my mouth slightly open to say something but everything pauses when i feel the stick hit the back of my neck.

Everything becomes dark. I collapse and my head hits the ground.

✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。

When l open my eyes l realise l am in a cage. A dark room that stinks. Two guards are guarding me. After some hours l find out that they are commanded to feed me nothing for five days.

✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。

And so, five lonely days have passed. I have not eaten for five freaking days. I don't bother myself to stand as l know I'm going to stumble and fall hard on the cold dirty ground. I have not spoken since my first day here. At first l was asking about what happened and how i ended up here, when l received no answers i gave up. I even think l might have lost my voice.

I haven't been sleeping well. My thoughts hunting me. The first look of my parents, Victoria's reaction to my foolishness, Dorian's last words... I want to flee. Flee far away from here. This place is depressing me. I'm hungry. I'm dying for a single drop off water. But I've managed not to give in until now and that's what I'll keep doing. The fifth day had come and will be coming to an end in six hours, l have heard from the guards when they changed shifts.