After showering, she stood over Bryce who was still dead to the world. He often had a drink after the dining room closed. Not wanting to waste the day, she set out to Pops's place on her own. The air was nippy with the wind. Winters in Boston were cold. She loved living close enough to walk to see her grandfather and to the restaurant, although she only walked on Mondays when she went in to place her orders. After work it was too dark to walk home alone. If Bryce left with her, she could get some fresh air before falling asleep. Some nights she sat on the balcony for a few minutes after her shower. Because of her wet hair, she didn't stay out long in the winter.

She braided her hair damp at night and let it out in the morning. It gave it a wave even though her typical style was a ponytail. She wore her light brown hair down on her day off. After having short hair for years, she had grown it out to reach just below her shoulders. It needed a trim, but she didn't have the time. Even her days off required work.

At the welcome desk, Louise greeted her when she walked. "Kat, you look fresh this morning. I went to dinner last night. The shrimp was delicious."

Kat frowned. "I wish I had known."

"I could see you working. You were so busy. I greeted Bryce."

"We were busy last night, which was wonderful." Still Bryce could have told her, like the zucchini. She took the lid off her plastic container. "I made these this morning. Take one."

The older woman's face lit up. "Thanks. You are so talented."

Kat's heart sang. Pleasing people with food brought her joy like a mother watching her kid on Christmas. Someday the restaurant would be successful enough so she and Bryce could have a baby. Long-term goal, she was only twenty-eight, but Bryce was thirty-one.

She made her way down the hall to Pops's room. It surprised her to see him still in bed. "Hey Pops. What're you lazy?"

"Tired. What did you bring?"

She smiled. "Turnovers, but no eating in bed."

"Leave 'em then. I'll eat them later."

"I can help you sit up."

"No." He gritted his teeth.

Feisty. "Okay, but you'll miss the boys at lunch."

Ever since a series of strokes his mobility had declined. He used a wheelchair and had to be pushed to the room down the hall where meals were served. He sat around with other men, some couldn't feed themselves while others were like him, limited but still capable. Three of them talked about the Red Sox even in the middle of the offseason. "Remember that game in '86 when they came back to win two to one. Oil Can pitched and Boggs and Rice had hits."

Kat would shake her head. The old men had trouble remembering their grandkids' names but they remember Marty Barrett hitting one in September, 1986. Of course that was the closest the Sox came to winning it all until the heartbreak of 2003. Don't get them started on Grady Little leaving Pedro in too long.

Grasping at straws, she said, "Spring training started."

"They're no good anymore. Traded everyone away."

She couldn't argue with him. "Come on Pops. I'll take you for a spin and maybe we'll pop a wheelie."

"Too tired, kitty Kat."

Before she could argue, her parents arrived. Her mother frowned at the man in the bed, but said nothing.

"Hey Kat, Dad. Did we miss the party?" Her father put his arm around her and gave her a squeeze.

Pops complained, "No party in this godforsaken place."

Pop had moved up to the higher level of care after his mobility declined. He had been happy in the assisted living wing attending activities and eating in a big dining room. Unfortunately, he needed more help with his daily routines.

Ramona Cousins asked, "Where's Bryce?"

Kat shrugged. "At home." She didn't dare mention he was still in bed. Cousins were always early risers.

Pops perked up. "She can do better than him."

Seth Cousins squeezed her again. "Dad, you've forgotten. She loves him."

"I haven't forgotten. I just think she should know better."

Kat wasn't sure if she should laugh at Pops's honesty. It hurt that her father didn't sing Bryce's praises. They had been together for ten years.

She had less of a bounce in her step on the way home although her load was lighter without the sweets. Bryce was glued to his laptop screen when she came in. As she walked closer, she saw he wasn't working but watching guys compete in some video game.

He looked up. "Hey, babe. The turnovers were great. How's Pops?"

She shrugged, not wanting to tell about him in bed. "You didn't tell me Louise came in for dinner."

"Who?"

"Louise from the front desk."

"Oh, I didn't remember who she was." He forgot a lot of things. "Come 'ere. It's our day off."

She stepped towards him and his hand went straight for her breast, but she didn't mind because she was feeling the need too. When she put her lips on his, all her worries floated away. It didn't take long before she was pleading for him to take her over the edge.

Panting the two lay side-by-side on their bed. She rolled towards him and kissed his chest. "I love you."

"Me too, babe. What's for dinner?"

She laughed and swatted him. "I'm not cooking. We can get takeout."

"I'm broke. Everything we make goes back to the restaurant."

"We should turn a profit soon."

He smiled. "With your kick ass food we have to."

Kat smiled. He always cheered her up.

If you like please vote ⭐️