|30|: Close/قریب

Start from the beginning

"Should I ask him?"
She asked herself than quickly diminishing the idea.

"That would look like I'm dying to have him take me out."

Falling down on the bed, she gazed at the ceiling. She gave her brain a very hard time trying to find an answer to her behaviour. She was just impulsive. God knows what ran through her brain that she decided to pull that stunt and then act all upset. Keeping her hands on her face, she muttered

"I'm such a big idiot. Stupid, fool, moron."

A knock sounded and she finally put a stop to her self cursing. Opening the door, she sighed in relief after seeing Mehreen. Inviting her inside her room, she huffed yet again.

"I see you need my help, Bhabhi."

She nodded her head and hold the two dresses by their hangers.

"Which one?" She wriggled those dresses in front of her and waited for an answer. Mehreen closely analysed the two dresses after finally deciding on the pastel blue one.

"This will do. Bhai loves blue colour."

Safa's eyes widened and she quickly looked at herself in the mirror with the blue dress. Surely, that looked so good on her. The kameez was ending inches before her knees and the sleeves were covering her entire arms. The dress was modest and fashionable simultaneously, just like she loves.

"You should give him a hard time. Don't go easy on him."

Safa confusedly stared at her nand and asked

"Aren't you supposed to take yours brother's side?"

Mehreen shook her head and muttered

"We live in a modern era. I'll take your side unless Bhai buys me with a cookie dough ice cream pint."

A laugh exploded out of her chest. Mehreen smiled sheepishly at her. Safa couldn't help but feel emotional. Gathering the young girl's hands in hers, she said

"Thank you so much, Mehreen. You're my best friend."

The young girl only hugged her back in response. Pulling back, she said

"We should be getting you ready. It's almost time."

And just like that, the two ladies were engrossed in their own work.

By the time, they were finished, it was already close to nine. Safa gazed at her reflection in the mirror. Before her was a woman that looks gorgeous. Her hair were in lose strands. The makeup was minimal. Nude lips and light eyeshadow highlighted her eyes. She set the dupatta on one shoulder and sat down on the bed waiting for him. The clock struck nine fifteen, but he still wasn't here. Her gaze landed on the bed side drawer and she take out those silver bangles. They were still wrapped since the day they arrived. She still hasn't thanked him for it. But there was this question.

Why didn't he ask her about them?
When he gifted her that book, he asked about it afterwards. But he was just too quiet about this specific gift. Somehow, worry seeped into her chest the more she pondered over it, so she placed them back and just then the door opened.

Her head snapped and her eyes locked upon her husband's dishevelled appearance. His hair were messy like he's been running his fingers through those thick strands. His shirt was wrinkled, while his sleeves were rolled up to his elbows. Still, he could pose as a model.

"Crap." She heard his light curse. Instantly, she looked down at herself feeling insecure.

Am I too overdressed?
Am I not presentable?
Is he angry?