Chapter 50: The Final Mission, Part I

Start from the beginning

Raze, her concern for Killjoy evident, added her thoughts. "Well, KJ had contact with Omega Glitch. But without her, we can't reach him anymore."

Skye crossed her arms, thinking aloud all the choices they have now, and how they should proceed without the leading members of the Protocol. "Either freeing the others, or investigating the tear in the sky, we have to start from somewhere. There has to be something we can do."

Phoenix's unease reached its peak. His internal turmoil echoed in the heavy silence of the warehouse. Frustration and fear clung to him like a shroud, and he couldn't help but voice the question that had haunted him ever since this ordeal began: "How did I get myself involved in all of this mess?"

Sova walked closer to him and offered reassurance, placing a hand on his shoulder. "We've faced countless challenges together, and we've always found a way out. We'll do the same this time."

But Phoenix's patience had reached its limits. He sighed heavily and brushed Sova's hand off his shoulder. His voice was filled with exhaustion as he said, "I'm tired, man. I'm fed up with all this madness."

Jett, the honey of his heart, attempted to lift his spirits. "You just need to chill out and get some rest. You'll feel better after a good night's sleep."

However, Phoenix's confession took a darker turn. "No, Jett. I don't need a good night's sleep. I need permanent rest—from the Protocol, from all of this." His words hung heavily in the air, a stark admission of his desire to break free from the relentless grip of the Valorant Protocol.

His revelation sent ripples of surprise among the agents, many of whom had never heard such a sentiment from Phoenix. Omen, Reyna, and Yoru however, remained unfazed, masked by inscrutable calm.

Jett's voice was all but disbelief as she asked, "B-babe... what are you saying? The Protocol helped us get back on our feet when we were outcasts. We're fine as we are here... we're a family now!"

Phoenix shook his head, his resolve unwavering. "I'm not denying that, Jett. But we didn't sign up for this just to face 'near-death experiences' every day. I don't mind being the hero every once in a while, but all of this... multiverse and shit... it's just too much, too damn big for me."

His words hung in the air, heavy with the weight of his decision. Phoenix took a deep breath and continued, "I've made up my mind. I'm leaving the Protocol. Even if I wanted to help, I doubt I'd be much help in this mess."

The news hit the group like a punch to the gut, leaving half of the agents saddened and speechless. 

"Phoenix, it's no wonder that you're upset because of all this. But we still have to-" Sova, who had wanted to say something, found himself cut off by Phoenix's apology. 

"Sorry, Sova. You can't change my mind, man. Hope you understand," Phoenix said, his eyes reflecting both weariness and resignation. He then turned towards the others and said, "I'm really sorry."

As Phoenix turned to leave, Jett grabbed his hand, her eyes filled with tears, and begged him to stay. Phoenix placed his free hand on her shoulder and gave her a sorrowful look. "Let go, Jett," he said gently. She reluctantly released her grip as a tear slid down her cheek.

"...Hey, wait a sec-" Breach was about to follow after Phoenix, but Omen materialized next to him placed a hand on his shoulder, halting his movement. "Let him go," Omen said softly. "It's his choice, and we should respect it."

Breach's face showed a mix of hopelessness and disappointment as he watched Phoenix walk away. Meanwhile, Jett, overcome with emotions, made her way to a corner of the warehouse and sat down, her heart burdened by sadness.