Chapter 3: Introspection

The S.S. Marine cut through the waves on this warm day. Southern Island left their range of sight long ago, and the journey to the mainland was just beginning. It wasn't a lengthy trip, but occasionally, obstacles blocked their path back to the mainland; that being pirates. So far, it'd been uneventful but unfortunately, people had located her island long ago. So it wasn't uncommon for pirates to steer in their direction because the S.S. Marine's route was always the same; pirates would try to catch them en route to the mainland. Even so, they knew anybody who messed with the princess would meet a watery grave; the Sol Emeralds were a treasure that never stopped them from trying though.

Half the day was gone, and darkness would be upon them in some hours. They would most likely reach the mainland tomorrow. Blaze sat on the stairs leading to the steering deck. Marine put the ship on glide, now below in the cabin, saying she was going to plot the course to the mainland into the navigational computer. Blaze's ear twitched, listening closely to the banging going on below. That didn't seem to be the case now. She was in the engine-room tweaking machinery that most likely didn't need any.

Marines design of this ship was a mix of rich timbers and the strongest metals conceived at the moment. It made a balance of buoyancy and defense that was complemented by the strong brown oak that composed most of the deck. Light from the sun refracting off the deck produced heat, and it mixed with the cool sea air, forming warm air and a comfortable setting on the stairs of the deck Blaze sat on. Droplets of ocean water occasionally splashed up onto the hot deck, and the vapor produced a fragrance of salty sea water that tickled her nose as she sat in contemplation.

Blaze sat with her legs crossed and her lips pinched into a frown. She still felt embarrassed by getting caught by Marine. The isolation of the island gripped her, and Blaze wanted a rational explanation to why her thoughts had become so chaotic. So, a year ago, she made a trip to the mainland for supplies. She was losing her focus for protecting the Emeralds as the years went by...

She began to care less and less about their fate. Because every time Sonic reentered her life, the questions would resurface. Blaze had talked to a psychologist while on that trip to the mainlands, needing to rationalize the torture that had surfaced in her head and why it wouldn't stop.

She had learned from the doctor that her not socializing had actual side effects. The doctor showed her actual studies that proved socializing decreased stress. Test subjects in a controlled environment showed the need for socializing. The isolated one's desperation after extended periods of time showed clear evidence the study was true. Once they reintroduced into social settings, they stabilized. However, her pride wouldn't let her. She held the stance that she didn't need it.

Though a few more trips to the doctor before she left back to her island finally convinced her, her independence, while it might be fine, was where the line on her humanity was drawn. It was nature, pure instinct to socialize. They were social creatures. There was nothing she could do about it. No matter what she did, she was going to need socialization, and a small part of herself did after the doctor had proven to her how she felt before and after their sessions.

Blaze then turned her head to the right and stared out onto the sparkling infinite blue ocean, crashing waves contrast with the scattered white clouds in the blue skies. Remembering the first talk with the doctor. Just telling the doctor about how her endless task of guarding the Emeralds loomed over her life, how it had haunted her as time went on. She had things she wanted to do… she didn't want to do this forever…

She remembered how energized she felt after the talks, and for a time, she felt much better. Much time passed since she had spoken with someone like Sonic, just sharing everything. And she was happy using the excuse of him being marooned here too for that. It had become harder and harder for her to keep her mind on the Sol Emeralds when she had feelings inside of her she rejected. Thoughts she reluctantly wanted to share because she feared she was losing control of herself. That someone who got too close would get her with her guard down…