Chapter 30: A Childs Game

Shoto's eyes are blown wide, his pupils slit into such a thin line that it looks like he doesn't even have them. Katsuki can see his body shaking as the cat walks backwards, comes back, then does it again, only seeming to get more and more scared shitless every time he fails to do what he's been trying to. 

"She's sealed the exits. All of the pathways are closed... I'm unable to leave this place..." 

He says it more to himself, his voice whispery and just as shaky as his body. Katsuki looks down at Shoto, who is staring at nothing, eyes hazy, probably with the realization that he's totally fucked. Katsuki would normally make fun of him, 

'What, you scared or something? Pathetic.' 

But seeing the cats body shaking so hard isn't really amusing. Besides, he's helped him, as much as Katsuki hates to admit, he would have been totally fucked if this cat hadn't caught that rat.

 "It's fine icy hot. I'll get your ass home too."

 The cat doesn't answer, just continuing to shake and stare. Katsuki huffs out a frustrated breath before scooping him up in one smooth motion, wincing slightly when his ankle throbs. 

"The only way out is through that witch. I'm bringing you whether you fucking want to go or not." 

Shoto doesn't say anything, but with Katsuki's arm around him, he can feel the cat shaking still. He believes that he can do this. He has no other choice but to succeed, because then if he doesn't, he would be trapped here forever. 

He walks up the stairs to his own flat one at a time, conscious of the shaking cat in his arms. Maybe after they get out of here Katsuki will make fun of him for this, and it would all turn into some kind of joke instead of this serious moment. 

He doesn't want to focus on the quick beating of his heart or the sweat in his hands. Those are just body reactions. They don't mean anything. He isn't scared and he isn't anxious. At least that's what he bangs into his head as he gets to the door. 

Just like the rest of the house, it looks almost like a scribbled drawing. Katsuki reaches his hand out, almost expecting the door to come completely off, or for his hand to faze through. Neither happens, and he grips the doorknob in his hand and walks through. 

He was surprised to see that unlike the rest of the house, this place still had details. It had the ridges, the small indents, the shadows dancing on the walls. He guesses this is where she was putting all her energy, a last-ditch effort to win him over. 

Or maybe to prepare a battlefield that she could control. In the shadows, Katsuki sees someone, waiting for him to return.

 "So... your back." 

The other mother looks at him, her lips set into a straight line. She didn't bother to look or sound pleased. Her button eyes trail down to Shoto in his arms, and the cat gets even more on edge, hissing angrily at her. 

"And you've brought... Vermin." 

Her eyes linger on Shoto with a disinterested look. Or it would have seen that way if Katsuki didn't see the quick flash of hunger. Katsuki shrugs. 

"I take what i can get."

 The other mother looks back at him, standing up straighter. He can see that her body is more deformed now, more elongated. 

"You know i love you..."

 Her voice is still flat, and her smile isn't on her face. Katsuki clicks his tongue, feeling Shoto's claws digging into his arm. 

"You have a shitty way of showing it." 

Katsuki turns away from her and walks down the hall, pretending not to feel the other mother's eyes staring into his back. He walks into the drawing room, looking over at all the furniture. The loveseats, the small tables, every piece was some type of bug. 

Katsuki watches as the big black eyes of one of the chairs follow him through the room, chittering to itself as its antennae move in the air. This house never ceases to disgust him. In the corner of the room is the big wooden door that, in his own home, once led to a bricked-up wall.

 He tries not to focus on it, just a passing glance. Even when she isn't in the room with him, Katsuki can still feel the eyes of the other mother. Shoto looks to feel the same, because his head keeps turning back to look at the way they came. 

The drawing room window shows nothing but mist, clouding up the glass. Katsuki shivers, feeling like he was alone in a spider web, just waiting to get eaten. This was the moment. He could not fuck up, not right now.

 The other mother finally appears at the doorway, still watching him. She looks down at him, her button eyes gleaming. He stands and watches her as she slowly walks towards the mantlepiece, her heels clicking on the floor. 

Katsuki watches her the whole time, his nose crinkled in disgust. How could he have thought this monster looked anything like his mom? She was tall as shit, her head almost touching the ceiling, and her hair was wispy and falling out in clumps. 

Katsuki could even see the veins under her skin, an odd black color, standing out against her pale white skin. It looks like she was cracked, just ready to shatter apart. He even catches her four legs, spiked and jagged, peeking out from the fabric of a ripped-up dress. 

The other mother turns her lips back in a snarl, towering over him. 

"Well? Where are they?" 

She snaps. Katsuki glares back at her, 

"Fucking give me a minute I'm getting there! Damn..." 

He digs into his pocket and brings out the three marbles, all gray and cold. They clink together in his palm when he holds them out to her.