Chapter 20: Mangled Mess

"Deku don't be like that, take that shit off, what's up wit-"

The crudely made mask falls off, landing on the ground in tatters. Katsuki's eyes widen and he stares at the boy in front of him. Deku scrambles, covering his face with his hands.

Deku's face is clawed up, leaving freckled skin mangled and torn. There is more of that twine tied into the rips of skin.

It looks like it was made to keep the skin together, but its barely doing it. Katsuki just stares, and Deku looks at him, still covering his face with his hands.

"Fix. Mistake. Distraction."

Katsuki's eyes widen and he goes over to him, holding his arms by the wrists and slowly putting them down. Deku looks at him, button eyes standing out against red blood and black twine.

"I'll kill her for this Deku. For everything she's done. I want you to be able to see when I tear that bitches face just like she did to you."

Deku looks at him sadly, then seems to process their current situation. He digs into his pocket and holds out the stone.

"Stone. Protect. Need."

Katsuki grips it in his hand and looks back at the green haired boy.

"Thanks Deku. I owe you one."

He smiles and grabs his hand, helping him stand up.

"Key. left. Door."

He nods and grips his hand back. Deku leads as they both go to the drawing room. The house is quiet and still, with not even the hint of someone else being in the house besides them. 

They get to the drawing room, where the door waits. The furniture is mangled and old, and it smells like dust and something sweet that makes Katsuki feel like he's going to throw up.

Deku looks around the room quickly and quietly, scouring for the key. Katsuki helps him, looking over at the fireplace. He turns around, about to tell Deku that he doesn't think it's in here, when his eyes land on a rat.

Its looking at Deku, chittering and squeaking to itself. It must have caught Deku's attention because he looks over at it. His body stiffens and his eyes meet Katsuki's. 

With a small movement of his hand, he motions for Katsuki to get down. Standing by the chair, Katsuki slowly gets behind it, watching the rat. His heart is pounding, and he tries not to blink.

Deku lunges at the rat, trying to grab it. He misses, just falling onto the ground as it rushes away. He looks back at him, and with shaking hands, he holds a finger to his mouth and says,

"Quiet. Don't. Move."

The look in his eyes makes Katsuki root his feet in place, and he nods. Right when Deku is about to get up again, heels click on the wooden floor. The other mother walks to the doorway, looking down at Deku blankly.

"You can't get away from me. Youve been a thorn in my ass this whole time. I have no need to keep you around."

Deku glares and rushes at her, and the other mother snaps her fingers. In an instant, Deku's hand is gone in a puff of smoke. She looks at him, clearly uninterested in his attempts.

"Your nothing but one of my creations."

Deku stares straight ahead at her and she grips his other hand and pulls him out of the room.

"I think it's time i stop wasting so much energy on you."

Katsuki waits, and he doesn't hear anything. He collapses onto the floor, his back against the fireplace. He waits, still hearing the chittering and squeaking of rats in his ears, like their bouncing off the walls, watching his every move.

 It feels like forever when he hears the clicking of heels again. The other mother stands by the chair, and Katsuki looks up at her. Katsuki's heart turns cold.

She looks healthier than before, her cheeks flushed and her skin clear. Her hair is brighter and cleaner, and her body is less thin and long. She smiles, flashing perfect white teeth. Her buttoned eyes look as if she just polished them, gleaming and bright.

"She will use your life to make her stronger. Beautiful... Perfect..."

Katsuki can see the faint sign of dust on her clothes as she brushes herself off. He backs up, now on his feet, back to the fireplace with the snow globe.

"What the hell did you do?!"

The other mother shrugs, her bright red nails glistening in the fire light as she sways her hand.

"Well i couldn't have him running around and trying to take you away. Besides, he was an eyesore, poor thing was ruining my perfect home. You'll understand when your older Katsuki, that sometimes sacrifices are needed in life."

He balls his fist around the stone in his pocket until a small imprint is left in his palm. He's shaking, trying to stay where he is. She takes a look at him before smiling again.

"Now come on. You must be hungry."

She walks out of the drawing room and Katsuki follows, glancing at a big rat that scurries out of a hole in the wall. As they go through the hall, Katsuki sees a group of rats lapping at an area on the floor. He shivers and reminds himself not to lose his shit right now. She walks into the kitchen, and gestures Katsuki to sit down at the table.

"Come sit down Katsuki!"