38 | unworthy

Yoongi

Present

As I button up my black shirt, I'm surprised to hear footsteps from Evelyn's side of the apartment. Another week went by like clockwork and she has avoiding me like the plague, finding every excuse to be absent from our apartment, but in truth I know that she's only trying giving me the cold shoulder. She's keeping herself busy by applying to more architecture firms and attending one interview after the other, but spending time with our neighbors and flipping me off from the next door window gives me enough proof to know that Evelyn and I are back to stage one.

The truth is, I didn't mean to lose my temper the other day. After tracking down Carter and attacking him in the security of his own home and not to mention encountering his daughter who happens to be the girl I was hooking up with the whole year; I lost it. And the reason for being that I don't like to act first and then wallow in the consequences of my actions. I calculate every option in front of me, weigh down the advantages and disadvantages before making a final decision, but knowing that that man who has a daughter, laid his hands on Evelyn...

I don't know what the fuck it is about her that makes me turn against all of my values and shatters everything I've known to pieces.

However, the things Carter mentioned back at the pool house are hard to ignore. Like how she's stolen fifty grand from him. Is this why she's so comfortable living here without having a nine to five job? I clearly remember asking her in the beginning when she first moved in about her job and she kept trying to evade my questions, telling me that I don't need to worry because she will meet her end of the deal.

But the thing is she's never answered me.

When we were at the Cave on Mount Chapel, she briefly mentioned that she was working at a hotel in order to make ends meet, but if that's so how did she manage to save up enough money to live comfortably for several months without having an actual job? She's dropped out of university on her third year and quite literally has disappeared from the face of the earth. I haven't seen her anywhere in six months until she suddenly moved into my apartment. She hasn't spoken a word to me in a little over a week and honestly I can't blame her, since I basically insinuated a couple of ungraceful things about her.

Regret is crippling me from the inside out and the more she tugs the rope on her side of this silent war, the more devastated this shit makes me feel. I disrespected her in the worst possible way and she's right for despising me right now.

I shouldn't have spoken to her in that manner.

Not after she opened her heart to me that night on the beach.

Not when I know that even without her memories, the girl I knew four years ago could possibly exist in there somewhere.

I doubted her for a moment, I know but I know she's there.

I see her even when she's hiding from me.

I swing the door open and make my way to her bedroom. The door is left slightly ajar, so I knock on the door and I hear her utter a small 'yeah?' when I step inside. When I see opened cardboard boxes all over the room, my pulse quickens and I try to stay cool and collected. One box is sitting on her desk chair with some of her sketchbooks and her art supplies, while there's another on her bed labelled 'CLOTHES'. There are more boxes stacked in front of her bed along with her suitcase and laptop. A stack of folded corrugated cardboard boxes are sitting against the wall right under the window. My gaze falls on the papers on her desk regarding our lease and I pick them up.

It is only then that Evelyn turns to spare me a glance and I look back at her in anger.

"What the hell is this?" I throw the papers in front of her on her desk and she rolls her eyes annoyed.