Ch. 20: Breaking the News to Your Mom/ Your Mom Moves to Goatshire

A moment after eating supper, you're up in yours and Barnaby's room. You're on your phone and you're sitting on the bed. What you're doing is that you're calling your mom Gayle to break the news to her that you'll be getting married in a year.

You say, "Hey, mom. Got news for you." "What is it, sweetheart?" "I've met someone since I got here and went to this strange but interesting manor." "Oh, you have huh? It's about time you did. Who is it?" "His name's Barnaby. He's an owl. And... well, he's a ghost." "A ghost? I thought you were in Goatshire. Where the hell did you get the ghost thing from?" 

You lay back on the bed and you say, "I know it's hard to believe, but he is one. There's something else I need to tell you." "And that is?" "Barnaby proposed to me. I said yes." "You're getting married?! When?!" "Exactly a year from today." "Awe. Honey. Congratulations to you and Barnaby. Thankfully, I'm moving out of Cat Scales tomorrow."

You say, "If you stumble upon a teenage goat girl there, her name's Billie. She lives with her mom and she was two houses up from me. She and I became pretty close. I'm inviting her, too." What about Regina? How is she?" You sigh. 

You tell your mom in a different way saying, "She hanged herself in a pavilion at a park." "What?! My god! I didn't expect to hear this. She was always so happy." You say, "They do say it's the ones that are happiest in life." "Well. It's true, baby. Life is like that. I'd still like to come and meet Barnaby." "Little reminder, mama. I don't live in my house, anymore. I live with Barnaby in his manor. No, I'm not with him because he's rich. I really do love him." 

She laughs and says, "I didn't think you were. I do however know that you're into some crazy guys and girls." "He is the silly type. Whimsical and all. Handsome though. He's treated me so nicely. Better than all of the other dates I've had. And now I'm engaged to him." "It's a good thing I'm moving out of Cat Scales asap. I'll be there, tomorrow. Be in Goatshire by then and lead me to this Billie girl, so I know of this stuff." "I will. Promise. Like I said. She and her mom live two houses up to where I lived just a day in a half ago. I live with Barnaby in his manor now. Now my fiancé."

You sit up from the bed. She says, "I especially want to meet the man who's engaged to MY daughter." "You'll meet him. That's a promise. He'll want to meet you, too. You will be his mother-in-law." "Good. I look forward to meeting Barnaby, honey." 

You smile and you say, "Love you, mama." "Love you too, honey. Take care. Oh, and while you're at it, give me a grandchild." "Mom. I..." "(Y/N). You're my only child and I want a grandchild. I need my only child to bear fruit. Please? I know you're able to develop a child. The doctors told me so before." "Oh. Okay. As soon as I can." "Awe. Thanks, baby." You smile.

You hang up after talking to your mom. You hear this, "Soooo?" You look to see Barnaby in the doorway. You say, "I told her. I let her know you're a ghost, too." He says, "Oh, I just love that about you. You're honest and you never lie. Hoo hoo. I appreciate that, my dear. An honest and beautiful wife." You smile. 

He says, "By the way my dear... You'll get to meet Fantoccio, tomorrow." You smile and you say, "I'd like that. You said he does puppetry and all, right?" He says, "Well, he is a puppet, himself. Hoo hoo hoo. He's got a knack for it." You say, "I don't care if he's a puppet. I've been with a ghost." He smiles and says, "You'll like him. Believe me." You and Barnaby continue talking and going over your wedding plans.

***********************************************

The next day, you're in Goatshire. You told Barnaby that your mom had moved there. She called you earlier this morning. You're walking to your old house since that's where your mom will be living now. 

She asked if she could live in your house and you told her it was fine because you weren't living there anymore, anyways and you live with Barnaby in his manor. So now, your mom owns your previous house.

You're at her place right now. She's still unboxing some things. Some of your own stuff is still there because you immediately went to stay with the ghost owl to save the citizens of Goatshire from his wrath. And because you loved him as much as he did to you.

You have Billie with you. She met Billie and immediately took a liking to her. Appreciated her befriending you. Billie reminded her of yourself throughout your teen years and now your adult years.

Billie says, "I can't believe you're getting married soon, (Y/N). And to Barnaby nonetheless." You smile and you hold your hand up to show the ring on your finger. You say, "But I couldn't be happier." Your mom says, "I'm just happy my only child is finally getting married. Ghost or not. So long as he's been treating my daughter like a queen like he has been." 

You say, "Just know this, you two. You are invited to the wedding." Billie says, "I'll do this for YOU." Your mom says, "I still haven't met Barnaby." You look at your mom and you say, "You will. Tonight." Your mom smiles. You all talk the rest of the time.

*******************************************************

Later on at around 6pm, you're heading for the cemetery. You've got your mom with you. She says, "Why are we going through a cemetery? I'm just wondering." You say, "Barnaby lives in his own world, literally. And he's a ghost. Someone who's been dead for a hundred years." 

She says, "When did he die?" You say, "1923. Exactly one hundred years ago. He was a single father of a son he left behind after he died. His baby mama was a real piece of shit who faked her death to get away from them and be with a rich man. I know this because one of his little ghost minions showed me his past under his request." 

Your mom says, "So she turned out to be a gold-digging cunt, huh?" You nod and you say, "She was awful. His son's dead now from old age." Your mom says, "No matter. I'm still wanting to meet the person, ghost or not who's marrying my daughter." 

You get to a large tomb. The same one you've been going through to get to Barnaby's place. You say, "It's through here." She says, "Aren't there usually a bunch of dead bodies lying on those stone beds?" 

You say, "Yeah. But this is the way to his manor. I live with him now, too. He is my fiancé. You'll like him once you get to knowing him. He likes guests." You open the stone door and you go through. Your mom follows you inside.