Ch. 19: His Question

You're walking down the hallway. You're taken aback by seeing Barnaby when he was still alive. So, if he died in 1923 and he was twenty-five, then he was born in 1898. One hundred and one years before you, you being born in 1999. 

So, if he were born around your time, he would've been born in 1998 instead and still alive. He wouldn't have gone crazy after his ex-girlfriend left him and their son for a rich man and he got himself killed during a magic act he was going to use on his audience for disowning him.

As you walk, you say, "I'm tending to him. After seeing that... it's no wonder he doesn't like being alone. I don't blame him." You walk around to try and find Barnaby. You stop and you look around. You sigh and you say, "Where are you, Barnaby?"

You hear that familiar whimsical-like voice saying, "Oh, (Y/N). I'm heeeere.~" You smile and you look up at the ceiling to see him hanging upside down. He stretches his neck down to you. He looks right at you and he grins.

He says, "Well, hello there gorgeous. Lovely gloomy morning, isn't it?" He does that hoot as he laughs. You nod. With a smirk and half-lidded eyes he says, "Mmm. And great sex last night, too. Ooh, you were such a submissive little thing.~" He comes down and he stands in front of you.

You blush and you say, "No offense baby, but you're a ghost. You have the dominating abilities that I don't. Besides, you have powers. But I'm not complaining.~" He gives you a peck on the lips and he says, "Ooh, I just love you so much, (Y/N)." You smile and you put your hand on his face. You say, "I love you too, Barnaby."

You both lean in to kiss each other. He pulls away and shrinks his neck back up. He looks down at you. You look up at him. You say, "Barnaby. I got a glimpse of your living days from one of your Barnaboos." He smiles and says, "I'm aware. I sent him there to show you."

You sigh and you take his clawed hand on his wing. You look at him and you say, "Barnaby... I'm sorry you went through all of that. Especially with... Viola." He has the angry expression and he says, "Ooh, that retched witch. Fake her death not long after our son was born just to get away from us. And for a sleazy rich man!"

You say, "You don't have to deal with that now. Not with me." He sighs and smiles saying, "You really are a lot sweeter. I guess it only took a century to find the actual one." You say, "Well, you did it. You won someone over."

He smiles and says, "Having you by my side has been by far the greatest thing." You blush and you smile. He says, "Ooh. Speaking of which." You say, "What is it, Barnaby?" He looks down at you and he says, "Something has been on my mind since the first night you and I... got intimate.~" You blush.

He clinches his fist as if he's about to make something appear in his hand. He looks at you. He picks you up and you look at him. He looks at you and he says, "It's been on my mind since I saw you. Having you around makes me the happiest man dead."

(He's a ghost. Can't say happiest man 'ALIVE'. XD)

He holds his fist up as if he's hiding something in it. You say, "Barnaby. What's in your hand?" He looks at you and he grins saying, "My question to you, my dear." He reveals what he's hiding and it's a little black box.

You say, "Wait a minute... I-is that what I think it is?" He pops the little box open and you gasp. Turns out, it's a diamond ring. You put your hands over your mouth and you say, "Oh... oh my god." You look at him. He looks at you and he says, "(Y/N)... Will you marry me?"

You sigh shakily and you put your hands down. You look away. You hold back tears. He smirks and says, "Sooo?" You look at him and you say, "Oh my god. B-Barnaby. A-are you... for real?" He says, "As real as I can be, my sweet. What do you say, huh? Will you be my wife for the rest of your living days? Even the moment you yourself become a ghost?" 

You say, "Barnaby..." You put your hand on his face. You sigh and you smile and say, "Yes! Definitely yes!" He grins and says, "Oh hoo hoo hoo! Happiest day of my afterlife!" His face is spinning in excitement that you accepted. You move away and he puts you down. You stand in front of him.

You hold your hand out. He takes the ring out of the box and he grabs your hand. He slips the ring on your finger. You sigh and you smile, looking at the ring. You say, "Barnaby. It's beautiful.~" He says, "Yes, that's true. But it's not as beautiful as you are, my sweet fiancée.~" You blush and you smile. 

You whisper, "Is it weird to tell you that it turned me on when you put that ring on my finger, knowing I'll be your wife soon?~" He says, "You were... aroused by that?" You blush in shame and you nod. He laughs a bit and he says, "There's nothing wrong with that. It's a mixture of joy and other things, my dear. I'm not judging you a bit.~" 

You say, "Because YOU proposed to me and put that ring on me." He chuckles and says, "Can't get enough of me, can you?~" He does a little purr. You blush and you look at him. You say, "I am going to have to call someone close to me. It's not Billie, either." 

He says, "Then who if it's not the goat?" You say, "My mother. She needs to know I'll be getting married soon." He grins and says, "Excellent idea! Do let her know. Hoo hoo hoo hoo. I'd be delighted to meet my future mother-in-law."

He cups your chin and he looks at you saying, "Exactly one year from today... you're my wife." You blush and you smile, nodding. You say, "You okay if I invite Billie? She's... like a sister to me." He says, "Invite who you want. You're the bride, my dear. Lady of the manor! The more, the merrier." 

You notice something about how Barnaby is putting this. It doesn't even seem like or feel like he's inviting someone just to kill them so they can become ghosts like himself and quote on quote 'join the party.' Something's different. 

Since you began to live with him, he's been doing a lot less of trying to attack anyone. Was he going soft? You didn't know. But you shrug that part off for a little while and you say, "I'm calling my mom in a little while to let her know." 

He says, "Splendid. There is one individual I especially would like for you to meet. Let's just say... he puts on quite a show. Puppetry." You smile and you say, "Okay. Sweet." He says, "Let's get something to eat. Come with me, my dear." He wraps a wing around you and you follow him elsewhere.