Introduction

❗TRIGGER WARNING❗
Includes heavy themes such as mentions of suicide, abuse, toxic filial relationships, etc.

Disclaimer •
This story does not mean to offend or spread misinformation about mental health and abuse. If you see anything that might be considered offensive, feel free to let me know so that I may fix or remove the story. Thank you!

Main Theme:
Liana Flores - rises the moon

~•~

"Why did it matter to me so much to save someone like you?"

A second splash sounded through the quiet night air as the girl dove right into the water, shortly following after the boy that had fallen in.

She was almost panicking as she found herself surrounded by nothing but cold and dark, but there were too many bubbles and her eyes were struggling to adjust to the wet darkness of the water as she tried to clear her vision.

It was taking too long, she thought. But then her vision cleared, and she spotted the boy's blonde hair dancing in the water, ironic to the rest of his body which was unmoving. His eyes were closed, and that just pushed her even more to act fast.

Just a little bit more. She pushed herself, propelled herself forward and down as the boy continued to sink to the bottom. She was getting in too deep and it was already getting too dark all around her as she kept going, but her eyes and her arms were only focused on getting to the drowning boy.

She reached out, her legs still propelling her, and her fingers just inches away from the boy's collar, and then...

She got him.

Gasp!

Yeoreum breathed in sharply as soon as she broke out of the surface, and a few seconds later, she looked at the boy she was barely holding up, as she sighed in relief upon seeing him cough before he woke up.

"W-what- Where am-... I?" His confusion disappeared much quicker than Yeoreum had expected, but when he turned to her and their eyes met, the girl was able to see so many emotions swirling in his eyes even in just a split-second. "Y-you- why did you-" He began stammering again, but then he noticed her shivering, and his brows furrowed, before his expression turned into one like despair.

"I think," Yeoreum breathed out as she forced a smile despite how cold she felt floating there in the river, "that we should get to land first before we start asking questions."

She couldn't have known that this strange encounter was bound to change her life, and even more so for the boy she had saved. Just that...

That didn't exactly mean that things would get better for the both of them.

"Why did I care so much when it came to you?"

~•~

Stars and Summer Skies
a Shen Quanrui Fanfiction