Chapter 3: First Date

It's finally here! The day I've been eagerly anticipating for weeks – my first real date with Derek. I can hardly contain my excitement as I get ready, standing in front of the mirror, wondering if I look okay. Should I wear the blue and black dress or the red one? I settle for the red one; it brings out the color of my eyes, or so my best friend Brie always says.

My heart flutters with every thought of tonight. Derek is the cute boy from my math class who always sits at the back, occasionally sending me a cheeky smile when the teacher isn't looking. We've talked and texted a lot, and he's such a great guy. I can't believe he asked me out!

The sun is slowly setting, casting a warm glow through my bedroom window. I hear a soft knock on my dorm door, and I rush over, trying not to trip over my own excitement. Brie Greets Derek with a smile, and I can't help but feel a little embarrassed when she insists on taking a dozen photos of us before we leave.

As we step outside, the cool evening breeze dances around us, and I feel a shiver of anticipation run down my spine. Derek looks handsome in his jeans and button-up shirt, and I try my best to act cool and collected, though my heart is racing.

"So, where are we going?" I ask, trying not to sound too eager.

"It's a surprise," he grins, and I can't help but love the way his eyes crinkle at the corners.

We hop into an uber, and the radio plays a catchy tune that we both end up singing along to. Derek has such a nice voice; I'm glad he doesn't mind my terrible singing. We talk about everything and nothing, laughter coming effortlessly, as if we've known each other for years.

Finally, the car comes to a stop, and I look around, trying to figure out where we are. It's a beautiful park, and there's a picnic blanket laid out with fairy lights twinkling above. The sight takes my breath away, and I can feel my cheeks flushing with delight.

"Oh, Derek, this is amazing!" I exclaim, feeling like the luckiest girl in the world.

He smiles shyly, a hint of nervousness in his eyes. "I wanted to make tonight special for you."

And special it is. We sit on the blanket, sharing stories, dreams, and secrets. There's something so comfortable about being with him, like I can be myself without any pretenses. We talk until the stars start appearing in the sky, and I find myself wishing time would slow down.

He reaches into a bag beside him and pulls out a small box, holding it out to me. My heart flutters, and my hands tremble as I take it. Inside is a delicate necklace, a small butterfly pendant hanging from a delicate chain.

"It's to remind you of tonight, of the butterflies in your stomach," he says, and I can't help but giggle at the metaphor.

"It's perfect, thank you," I say, feeling my eyes well up with tears of happiness.

As the night draws to a close, Derek walks me back to my doorstep. I'm not ready to say goodbye, not yet.

"I had an amazing time," he says, taking my hand in his. "Can we do this again sometime?"

"Yes, definitely," I reply, my heart skipping a beat.

He leans in, and I close my eyes, feeling his lips against mine in a soft, gentle kiss. It's like the whole world fades away, and it's just him and me, wrapped up in this magical moment.

As I step back into the dorm, I can't stop the grin from spreading across my face. My first date with Derek was perfect, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for us. I hold the butterfly necklace close to my heart, a promise of new beginnings and the fluttering excitement of young love.